Acquired epidermoid tumour in the thoracic spinal canal
Acquired spinal epidermoid tumours are rare, and probably caused by skin fragments that have been transplanted by trauma or lumbar puncture. They almost always occur in the region of the cauda equina. We present an acquired spinal epidermoid tumour at the T 10 level, with pathological confirmation. A skin fragment had migrated to a site where it developed into a tumour.
Key wordsEpidermoid tumour Iatrogenic lesion Thoracic spine Magnetic resonance imaging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pear BL (1969) Iatrogenic intraspinal epidermoid sequestration cysts. Radiology 92: 251–254Google Scholar
- 2.Wilkins RH, Odom GL (1976) Spinal intradural cysts. In: Vinken PJ, Bruyn GW (eds) Tumours of the spine and spinal cord, part II. Handbook of clinical neurology, vol 20. North-Holland, Amsterdam, pp 55–102Google Scholar
- 3.Choremis C, Economos D, Papadatos C, Gargoulas A (1956) Intraspinal epidermoid tumours (cholesteatomas) in patients treated for tuberculous meningitis. Lancet II: 983–985Google Scholar
- 4.Gibson T, Norris MB, Norris W (1958) Skin fragments removed by injection needles. Lancet II: 983–985Google Scholar
- 5.Shaywtz BA (1972) Epidermoid spinal cord tumors and previous lumbar punctures. J Pediatr 80: 638–640Google Scholar
- 6.Tabbador K, Lamorgese JR (1975) Lumbar epidermoid cyst following single spinal puncture. J Bone Joint Surg 57: 1168–1169Google Scholar
- 7.Halcrow SJ, Crawford PJ, Craft AW (1985) Epidermoid spinal cord tumour after lumbar puncture. Arch Dis Child 60: 978–979Google Scholar
- 8.Visciani A, Savoiardo M, Balestrini MR, Solero CL (1989) Iatrogenic intraspinal epidermoid tumor: myelo-CT and MRI diagnosis. Neuroradiology 31: 273–275Google Scholar
- 9.Hatfield MK, Udesky RH, Strimling AM, Kim BH, Silbergleit R (1989) MR imaging of a spinal epidermoid tumor. AJNR 10: S95–96Google Scholar
- 10.Pena CA, Lee YY, Tassel PV, Rich D (1989) MR appearance of acquired spinal epidermoid tumors. AJNR 10: S97Google Scholar
- 11.Manno NJ, Uihlein A, Kernohan JW (1962) Intraspinal epidermoids. J Neurosurg 26: 14–20Google Scholar
- 12.Steffey DJ, Filipp GJ, Spera T, Gabrielsen TO (1988) MR imaging of primary epidermoid tumors. J Comput Assist Tomogr 12: 438–440Google Scholar