Polyketide exometabolites of the causative agent of rice blast and their role in pathogenesis
- 38 Downloads
A polyketide exometabolite — 3,4,8-trihydroxy-3,4-dihydronaphthalen-1(2H)-one (3,4,8-TDH) — has been isolated from the culture liquids of four isolates of the phytopathogenic fungusPiricularia oryzae Cavara. It has been shown that all the natural isolates investigated, and also nonpathogenic rose mutants and a series of dwarf mutants synthesize 3,4,8-TDH. This substance was not detected in filtrates of cultures of albino mutants. One of the natural isolates produces, together with 3,4,8-TDH, another polyketide — piriculol. The role in pathogenesis of the exometabolites isolated is discussed.
KeywordsCulture Liquid Rice Seed Polyketide Rice Blast Necrotic Spot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Tamari and J. Kaji, Niigata Univ. Fac. Agric. Bull.,5, 33 (1954).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Tamari, N. Ogasawara, and J. Kaji, The Rice Blast Disease, John Hopkins Press, Baltimore, Maryland (1965), p. 35.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Narayana Rao and S. Suryanayanan, Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. B.,80, Pl. 11, 31 (1974).Google Scholar
- 6.S. Iwasaki, H. Muro, S. Nozoe, S. Okuda, and Z. Sato, Tetrahedron Lett., No. 1, 13 (1972).Google Scholar
- 7.S. Iwasaki, H. Muro, K. Sasaki, S. Nozoe, S. Okuda, and Z. Sato, Tetrahedron Lett., No. 37, 3537 (1973).Google Scholar
- 8.M. Nukina, T. Sassa, M. Ikeda, T. Umezawa, and H. Tasaki, Agric. Biol. Chem.,45, 2161 (1981).Google Scholar
- 9.J. F. Bousquet, Ann. Phytopathol.,5, 285 (1973).Google Scholar
- 10.T. M. Voinova, V. A. Terekhova, and Yu. T. D'yakov, Biol. Nauki,11, 76 (1983).Google Scholar
- 11.C. P. Woloshuc, H. D. Sisler, M. C. Tokousbalides, and S. R. Dutky, Pestic, Biochem. Physiol.,14, 254 (1980).Google Scholar
- 13.T. M. Voinova, N. A. Vavilova, V. A. Terekhova, V. A. Deblova, V. G. Dzhavakhiya, and Yu. T. D'yakov, Biol. Nauki,1, 78 (1984).Google Scholar