DNA analysis in juvenile Huntington disease
- 20 Downloads
We report a 6-year-old boy with a positive family history of Huntington disease (HD), who presented with ambiguous neurological and psychiatric symptoms. The suspected diagnosis of HD was confirmed by DNA analysis. This new method is very helpful when the first signs of HD cannot be clearly interpreted.
Key wordsHuntington disease DNA analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gilliam TC, Bucan M, Mac Donald ME, Zimmer M, Haines JL, Cheng SV, Pohl TM, Meyers RH, Whaley WL, Allito BA, Faryniarz A, Wasmuth J, Frischauf AM, Conneally PM, Lehrach H, Gusella JF (1987) A DNA segment encoding two genes very tightly linked to Huntington's disease. Science 238:950–952Google Scholar
- 2.Gilliam TC, Tanzi R, Haines JL, Bonner TI, Faryniarz A, Hobbs WJ, Mac Donald ME, Cheng SV, Folstein SE, Conneally PM, Wexler SE, Gusella JF (1987) Localization of the Huntington's disease gene to a small segment of chromosome 4 flanked by D4S10 and the telomere. Cell 50:565–571Google Scholar
- 3.Gusella JF, Wexler NS, Conneally PM, Naylor SL, Anderson MA, Tanzi RE, Watkins PC, Ottina K, Wallace MR, Sakaguchi AJ, Young RE, Shoulson I, Bonilla E, Martin JB (1983) A polymorphic DNA marker genetically linked to Huntington's disease. Nature 306:234–238Google Scholar
- 4.Haines JL, Tanzi R, Wexler N, Harper P, Folstein S, Cassiman J, Meyers R, Young A, Hayden M, Falek A, Tolosa E, Crespi S, Campanella G, Holmgren G, Anvret M, Kanazawa I, Gusella J, Conneally M (1986) No evidence of linkage heterogeneity between Huntington disease (HD) and G8 (D4S10). Am J Hum Genet 39:A156Google Scholar
- 5.Haines JL, Tanzi R, Wexler N, Harper PS, Folstein S, Cassiman J, Myers R, Young A, Hayden M, Falak A, Tolosa E, Crespi S, DiMaio L, Holmgren G, Anvret M, Kanazawa I, Gusella JF, Conneally PM (1987) Further evidence for the lack of heterogeneity of linkage of Huntington disease to D4S10. HGM 9:442Google Scholar
- 6.Harper PS, Sarfarazi M (1985) Genetic prediction and family structure in Huntington's chorea. Br Med J 290:1929–1931Google Scholar
- 7.Hayden MR (ed) (1981) Huntington's chorea. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 8.Jeffreys AJ, Wilson V, Thein SL (1985) Hypervariable minisatellite regions in human DNA. Nature 314:67–73Google Scholar
- 9.Southern EM (1975) Detection of specific sequences among DNA fragments seperated by gel electrophoresis. J Mol Biol 98:503–517Google Scholar
- 10.Vandenplas S, Wiid I, Grobler-Rabie A, Brebner K, Ricketts M, Wallis G, Bester A, Boyd C, Mathew C (1984) Blot hybridization analysis of genomic DNA. J Med Genet 21:164–172Google Scholar
- 11.Wasmuth J, Hewitt J, Smith B, Allard D, Haines JL, Skarecky D, Partlow E, Hayden MR (1988) A highly polymorphic locus very tightly linked to the HD-gene. Nature 332:734–736Google Scholar