Intrahepatic subcapsular biloma
- 50 Downloads
Bile leaks leading to bilomas in the subhepatic space are amongst the most common complications of laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC). We describe the case of a large (1,100 cc) intrahepatic biloma that presented with pain and fever 14 days post LC. The diagnosis was suspected as a result of ultrasound and CT scan and the problem was solved by percutaneous catheter drainage. We believe this intrahepatic biloma was caused by a lesion of an abnormal bile duct near the bed of the gallbladder during a difficult dissection due to severe contraction and fibrosis.
Key wordsIntrahepatic biloma Subcapsular collection of bile Complications of laparoscopic cholecystectomy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Airan M, Appel M, Berci G, et al. (1992) Retrospective and prospective multi-institutional laparoscopic cholecystectomy study organized by the Society of American Gastro-intestinal Endoscopic Surgeons. Surg Endosc 6: 169–176Google Scholar
- 2.Appel MF (1993) Back to the basics in laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Surg Endosc 7: 1Google Scholar
- 3.Bailey RW (1991) Complications of laparoscopic general surgery. In: Sucker KA (ed) Surgical laparoscopy. Quality Medical Publishing, St Louis, MO, pp 311–342Google Scholar
- 4.Deyo GA (1992) Complications of laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Surg Laparosc Endosc 2: 41–48Google Scholar
- 5.Ferguson CM, Rattner DW, Warshaw AL (1992) Bile duct injury in laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Surg Laparosc Endosc 2: 1–7Google Scholar
- 6.Nathanson, LK, Shimis, Cushieri A (1991) Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: The Dundee technique. Br J Surg 78: 155–159Google Scholar
- 7.Scott TR, Zucker KA, Bailey RW (1992) Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a review of 12.397 patients. Surg Laparosc Endosc 2(5): 191–198Google Scholar
- 8.Soper NJ, Stockmann PT, Dunnegan LD, Ashley SW (1992) Laparoscopic cholecystectomy the new “gold standard”? Arch Surg 127: 917–923Google Scholar
- 9.The Southern Surgeons Club (1991) A prospective analysis of 1518 laparoscopic cholecystectomies. N Eng J Med 324: 1073–1078Google Scholar
- 10.Williams PC, Warwick R (eds) (1980) Gray Anatomy (36th ed) WB Saunders, Philadelphia, p 1384Google Scholar
- 11.Wolfe BM, Gardiner BN, Leary BF, Frey CF (1991) Endoscopic cholecystectomy: an analysis of complications. Arch Surg 126(10): 1192–1198Google Scholar