Peripheral cerebral aneurysm associated with a glioma
- 42 Downloads
This 42-year-old man with acute subarachnoid, intraventricular and parenchymal hemorrhage from an angiographically and surgically confirmed successfully clipped, right splenial artery aneurysm, subsequently manifested a grade 3 astrocytoma at the site of the aneurysm. Intracranial aneurysms are recognized in association with metastases from cardiac myxoma and choriocarcinoma, but are rarely seen with primary brain tumors. In patients with nontraumatic peripheral aneurysms it would seem prudent to biopsy the aneurysm and/or surrounding necrotic tissue at the time of surgical clipping.
Key wordsCerebral aneurysm Glioma Oncotic aneurysm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allcock J (1974) Aneurysms. In: Newton TH, Potts DG (eds) Radiology of the skull and brain: angiography. Mosby, St. Louis, pp 2445–2486Google Scholar
- 2.Olmsted WW, McGee TP (1977) The pathogenesis of peripheral aneurysms of the central nervous system: a subject review from the AFIP. Radiology 123:661–666Google Scholar
- 3.Suwanwela C, Suwanwela N, Charuchinda S, Hongsaprabhas C (1972) Intracranial mycotic aneurysms of extravascular origin. J Neurosurg 36:552–559Google Scholar
- 4.Mandybur TI (1977) Intracranial hemorrhage caused by metastatic tumors. Neurology 27:650–655Google Scholar
- 5.Seigle JM, Caputy AJ, Manz HJ, Wheeler C, Fox JL (1987) Multiple oncotic intracranial aneurysms and cardiac metastasis from choriocarcinoma: case report and review of the literature. Neurosurgery 20:39–42Google Scholar
- 6.New PF, Price DL, Carter B (1970) Cerebral angiography in cardiac myxoma. Correlation of angiographic and histopathological findings. Radiology 96:335–345Google Scholar
- 7.Ho K-L (1982) Neoplastic aneurysm and intracranial hemorrhage. Cancer 50:2935–2940Google Scholar
- 8.Taveras JM, Wood EH (1976) Diagnostic neuroradiology, vol 2. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, pp 760–765Google Scholar
- 9.Cowen RL, Siqueira EB, George E (1970) Angiographic demonstration of a glioma involving the wall of the anterior cerebral artery. Radiology 97:577–578Google Scholar
- 10.Sedzimir CB, Occleshaw JV, Brixton PH (1968) False cerebral aneurysm. Case report. J Neurosurg 29:636–639Google Scholar