Metastases to the pituitary-hypothalamic axis
- 109 Downloads
Seven patients with metastatic tumour in the pituitary-hypothalamic axis were investigated by MRI. The main clinical problems were diabetes insipidus (5 cases) and general pituitary dysfunction (2 cases). No patient had visual or oculomotor symptoms. In 6 of the 7 patients the primary malignant tumour was known, but no patient had symptoms from the primary tumour; 1 had symptoms from metastases in locations other than the pituitary gland. In one patient no primary tumour was known. MR detection of a second, clinically silent, 5 mm lesion in the posterior cranial fossa initiated the search for primary tumour. MRI showed purely suprasellar tumours in 3 patients and intra- and suprasellar tumours in 4. The latter were dumbbell lesions with only a small bridge of tissue connecting the intra- und suprasellar portions. Six of the 7 suprasellar tumours seemed to be in the infundibular recess of the third ventricle; in 5 the infundibulum was visible as an enhancing linear structure at the postero-inferior border of the tumour. The pituitary fossa was normal in all cases.
Key wordsPituitary, diseases Pituitary, MR studies Metastases
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cifuentes N, Pickren JW (1979) Metastases from carcinoma of mammary gland: an autopsy study. J Surg Oncol 11:193–205Google Scholar
- 2.Chambers EF, Turski PA, LaMasters D, Newton TH (1982) Regions of low density in the contrast-enhanced pituitary gland: normal and pathologic processes. Radiology 144:109–113Google Scholar
- 3.Teears R, Silverman EM (1975) Clincopathologic review of 88 cases of carcinoma metastatic to the pituitary gland. Cancer 36:216–220Google Scholar
- 4.Branch CL, Laws ER (1987) Metastatic tumors of the sella turcica masquerading as primary pituitary tumors. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 65:469–474Google Scholar
- 5.Max MB, Deck MDF, Rottenberg DA (1981) Pituitary metastasis: incidence in cancer patients and clinical differentiation from pituitary adenoma. Neurology 31:998–1002Google Scholar
- 6.Nuzzo A, delle Monache C, Bonomo L, Peretti G, Basilico L (1988) Interessamento metastatico della sella turcica e del sistema ipotalamo-ipofisario da carcinoma mammario. Radiol Med 75:660–664Google Scholar
- 7.Peyster RG, Hoover ED (1984) CT of the abnormal pituitary stalk. AJNR 5:49–52Google Scholar
- 8.Schubiger O (1982) Computertomographischer Nachweis von Metastasen im Hypothalamus-Hypophysenhinterlappen-System. CT-Sonographie 2:127–129Google Scholar
- 9.Schubiger O (1991) Intrasellar tumors: neuroradiological diagnosis. Riv Neurorad 4 (Suppl 1):47–55Google Scholar
- 10.Tien R, Kucharczyk J, Kucharczyk W (1991) MR imaging of the brain in patients with diabetes insipidus. AJNR 12:533–543Google Scholar
- 11.Leramo OB, Booth JD, Zinman B, Bergeron C, Sima AAF, Morley TP (1981) Hyperprolactinemia, hypopituitarism, and chiasmal compression due to carcinoma metastatic to the pituitary. Neurosurgery 8:477–480Google Scholar