Upper cervical spinal cord compression due to bony stenosis of the spinal canal
- 81 Downloads
Compression of the upper cervical spinal cord due to stenosis of the bony spinal canal is infrequent. In the first case reported here, stenosis was due to acquired extensive, unilateral osteophytes centered on the left apophyseal joints of C1−C2 in an elderly professional violinist. In the second case, stenosis was secondary to isolated congenital hypertrophy of the laminae of C1 and C2.
Key wordsSpinal cord, compression Spinal canal, stenosis Spine, stenosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pavlov H, Torg JS, Robie B, Jahre C (1987) Cervical spinal stenosis: determination with body ratio method. Radiology 164: 771–775Google Scholar
- 2.Jahnke RW, Hart BL (1991) Cervical stenosis, spondylosis and herniated disc disease. Radiol Clin N Amer 29: 777–791Google Scholar
- 3.Yamashita Y, Takahashi M, Matsuno Y et al (1990) Spinal cord compression due to ossification of ligaments: MR imaging. Radiology 175: 843–848Google Scholar
- 4.Wang H, Rosenbaum AE, Reid CS, Zinreich SJ, Peyritz RE (1987) Pediatric patients with achondroplasia: CT evaluation of the craniocervical junction. Radiology 164: 515–519Google Scholar
- 5.Sawada H, Akiguchi I, Fukuyama H, Kameyama M, Koyama T (1989) Marked canal stenosis at the level of the atlas. Neuroradiology 31: 346–348Google Scholar
- 6.Prakash SG, Chandy MJ, Abraham J (1992) Stenosis of the axis and cervical myelopathy. J Neurosurg 76: 296–297Google Scholar
- 7.Wackenheim A (1974) Roentgen diagnosis of the craniovertebral region. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, pp 215–251Google Scholar
- 8.Wackenheim A (1988) A special form of constitutional narrowness of cervical vertebral canal with thickened and hyperdense cortical bone of the posterior arch (osteopetrosis tardiva?). Acta Neurochir 92: 144–147Google Scholar
- 9.Takahashi M, Yamashita Y, Sakamoto Y, Kojima R (1989) Chronic cervical cord compression: clinical significance of increased signal intensity on MR images. Radiology 173: 219–224Google Scholar
- 10.Faiss JH, Schroth G, Grodd W, Koenig E, Will B, Thron A (1990) Central spinal cord lesions in stenosis of the cervical canal. Neuroradiology 32: 117–123Google Scholar