Independent regulation of atrial coronary blood flow by atrial contraction rate in conscious dogs
- 18 Downloads
The effects of separate increases in atrial and ventricular contraction rates on the distribution of coronary flow within the heart were determined in conscious dogs with chronic heart block. Atrial tachycardia increased atrial blood flow and did not change ventricular blood flow. Ventricular tachycardia increased ventricular blood flow but not atrial blood flow. The results are consistent with the concept of local regulation of coronary perfusion by local myocardial energy turnover. The results also call attention to a potential adverse impact of atrial tachyarrhythmia in patients with underlying coronary ischemia.
Key wordscoronary blood flow tachycardia heart block reactive hyperemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allela, A., Williams, F.L., Bolene-Williams, C., Katz, N.L.: Interrelation between cardiac oxygen consumption and coronary blood flow. Am. J. Physiol.183: 570–580 (1955).Google Scholar
- Braunwald, E., Sarnoff, S.J., Case, R.B., Stainsby, W.N., Welch, Jr., G.H.: Hemodynamic determinants of coronary flow: effect of changes in aortic pressure and cardiac output on relationship between myocardial oxygen consumption and coronary flow. Am. J. Physiol.192: 157–163 (1958).Google Scholar
- Domenech, R.J., Hoffman, J.I.E., Noble, M.I.M., Saunders, K.B., Henson, J.R., Subijanto, S.: Total and regional coronary blood flow measured by radioactive microspheres in conscious and anesthetized dogs. Circ. Res.25: 581–596 (1969).Google Scholar
- Eckenhoff, J.E., Hafkenschiel, J.H., Landmesser, C.M.: The coronary circulation in the dog. Am. J. Physiol.149: 634–649 (1947).Google Scholar
- Fixler, D.E., Archie, Jr., J.P., Ullyot, D.J., Hoffman, J.I.E.: Regional coronary flow with increased right ventricular output in anethetized dogs. Am. Heart J.86: 788–797 (1973).Google Scholar
- Monahar, M., Discard, G.E., Bullard, V., Will, J.A., Anderson, D., Ranklin, J.H.G.: Myocardial perfusion and function during acute right ventricular systolic hypertension. Am. J. Physiol.: Heart Circ. Physiol.4: H628-H636 (1978).Google Scholar
- Neill, W.A., Oxendine, J.M., Moore, S.C.: Acute and chronic cardiovascular adjustments to induced anemia in dogs. Am. J. Physiol.217: 710–714 (1969).Google Scholar
- Neill, W.A., Phelps, N.C., Oxendine, J.M., Mahler, J.D., Sim, D.N.: Effect of heart rate on coronary blood flow distribution in dogs. Am. J. Cardiol.32: 306–312 (1973).Google Scholar
- White, C.W., Marcus, L.L.: Effect of atrial pacing and atrial fibrillation on right atrial blood flow. Fed. Proc. (abstract)37: 647 (1978).Google Scholar