Alkylation of methyl 4,6-O-benzylidene-α-D-galactopyranoside
- 47 Downloads
The partial alkylation of methyl 4,6-O-benzylidene-α-D-galactopyranoside in dimethylformamide and dimethyl sulfoxide in the presence of barium oxide and hydroxide is described. It has been shown that methylation and benzylation lead predominantly to the 3-alkyl derivatives with yields of 30–40%, benzylation taking place more selectively than methylation. The compounds synthesized have been characterized by their melting points and specific rotations.
KeywordsMethyl Iodide DMFA Sodium Hydride Monomethyl Ether Benzyl Bromide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Y. Kondo, Agr. Biol. Chem.,39, 1879 (1975).Google Scholar
- 7.A. F. Bochkov, V. A. Afanas'ev, and G. E. Zaikov, The Formation and Cleavage of Glycosidic Bonds [in Russian], Moscow (1978), p. 83.Google Scholar
- 8.V. P. Panov and R. G. Zhbankov, The Conformations of Sugars [in Russian], Minsk (1975), p. 130.Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Kondo, Agr. Biol. Chem.,41, 2089 (1977).Google Scholar
- 11.P. Kovac and R. Brezny, Chem. Zvesti,29, 544 (1975).Google Scholar