A simple electronic circuit for determining the twitch force and resting force of small heart muscle preparations
The twitch of small preparations of heart muscle is often weak and difficult to record accurately during an experiment. Measurement of small twitch forces can also be handicapped by minor disturbances in the experimental chamber. We describe here a simple electronic circuit that is useful for detecting small changes of twitch force during experimental interventions. Using this circuit, the twitch force signal can be recorded on relatively high gain and changes of twitch force can be observed that might otherwise go undetected.
Key wordsHeart Muscle contraction Microelectrodes
- Boyett MR, Hart G, Levi AJ, Roberts A (1985) Biphasic changes of intracellular Na+ activity(aiNa) in isplated sheep + dog Purkinje fibres. J Physiol 369:86Google Scholar
- Boyett MR, Hart G, Levi AJ (1986) Dissociation between force and intracellular Na activity with strophanthidin in isolated sheep Purkinje fibres. J Physiol (Lond) 381:311–331Google Scholar
- Boyett MR, Hart G, Levi AJ (1987) Factors affecting intracellular sodium during repetitive activity in isolated sheep Purkinje fibres. J Physiol (Lond) 384:405–429Google Scholar
- Ellis D, Noireaud J (1987) Intracellular pH in sheep Purkinje fibres and ferret papillary muscles during hypoxia and recovery. J Physiol (Lond) 383:125–141Google Scholar
- Jung WG (1980) In: IC op-amp cookbook, 2nd edn. Howard W. Sama & Co. Inc., IndianaGoogle Scholar