Components of surface free energy of galena
- 79 Downloads
Measurements of the contact angle for water, diiodomethane, bromoform and 1,1,2,2-tetrabromoethane on non-oxidized and oxidized surfaces of galena were made. Using the results obtained, the “geometric mean” approach, and the long-range and short-range interactions approaches, the dispersion and non-dispersion, and Lifshitz-van der Waals and acid-base components of the surface free energy of galena were determined and compared with those calculated from adsorption isotherms ofn-octane andn-propanol. On the basis of the measurements and calculations it was found that the surface free energy of galena depends on its degree of oxidation and arise mainly from London's and acid-base intermolecular interactions. It was also found that values of the dispersion and non-dispersion components of galena surface free energy determined from the contact angle assuming that a film is present around the water and diiodomethane drops, are close to those obtained from adsorption isotherms ofn-octane andn-propanol.
KeywordsOxidation Polymer Free Energy Contact Angle Intermolecular Interaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.K. L. Mittal, in “Adhesion Science and Technology”, Vol. 9A, edited by L. H. Lee (Plenum, New York, 1976) p. 129.Google Scholar
- 9.C. J. Van Oss, R. J. Good andM. K. Chaudhury,J. Colloid Interface Sci. 11 (1986) 378.Google Scholar
- 12.C. J. Van Oss, M. K. Chaudhury andR. J. Good,J. Colloid Interface Sci. 128 (1989) 2.Google Scholar
- 15.J. Leja, “Surface Chemistry of Froth Flotation” (Plenum, New York, 1982).Google Scholar
- 16.J. Leja, in “Design an Installation of Concrete Dewatering Circuits”, edited by A. L. Mular and M. A. Anderson (Society of Mineral Engineers, Littleton, Colorado, 1986) p. 3.Google Scholar
- 19.A. W. Neumann andR. J. Good, in “Surface and Colloid Science”, Vol. 11, edited by R. J. Good and R. R. Stromberg (Plenum, New York, 1979) p. 31.Google Scholar
- 20.T. Białopiotrowicz, B. Jańczuk andW. Wójcik,Chem. Papers 42 (1988) 577.Google Scholar
- 24.B. Jańczuk, A. Waksmundzki andW. Wójcik,Roczniki Chem. 51 (1977) 985.Google Scholar