Indices of renal structure and function in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus
- 14 Downloads
The evaluation of renal biopsies from diabetic patients rests upon measurements of many structures in glomeruli, the tubules and the interstitium. These individual values can also be expressed as an index of renal structure. To assess the validity of the individual values versus a published index of renal structure, we evaluated glomerular basement membrane width, mesangial volume fraction, other measures of glomerular structure, and percentage glomerulosclerosis in type 1 diabetic subjects with renal function ranging from normal to marked albuminuria, hypertension, and a falling glomerular filtration rate. For all measured structural parameters and for the index, all groups of diabetic patients, even those who had completely normal renal function, had values different from non-diabetic subjects (P<0.001). Furthermore, there was an excellent correlation between the structural index and a similar functional index (r=0.77).
Key wordsDiabetes Glomerulus Mesangium Nephropathy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mauer SM, Steffes MW, Ellis EN, Sutherland DER, Brown DM, Goetz FC, Structural-functional relationships in diabetic nephropathyl J Clin Invest 74:1143–1155, 1984Google Scholar
- 2.Steffes MW, Østerby R, Chavers B, Mauer SM, Mesangial expansion as a central mechanism for loss of kidney function in diabetic patients. Diabetes 38:1077–1081, 1989Google Scholar
- 3.Harris RD, Steffes MW, Bilous RW, Sutherland DER, Mauer SM, Global glomerular sclerosis and glomerular hyalinosis in insulin dependent diabetes. Kidney Int 40:107–114, 1992Google Scholar
- 4.Østerby R, Parving H-H, Hommel E, Jørgensen HE, Løkkegard H, Glomerular structure and function in diabetic nephropathy: early to advanced stages. Diabetes 39:1057–1063, 1990Google Scholar
- 5.Steffes MW, Bilous RW, Sutherland DER, Mauer SM, Cell and matrix components of the glomerular mesangium in type I diabetes mellitus. Diabetes (in press)Google Scholar
- 6.Ellis EN, Basgen JM, Mauer SM, Steffes MW, Kidney biopsy technique and evaluation. In: Clarke WL, Larner J, Pohl SL (eds) Methods in diabetes research, vol II. Clinical methods. Wiley, New York, pp 633–647, 1986Google Scholar
- 7.Chavers BM, Bilous RW, Ellis EN, Steffes MW, Mauer SM, Glomerular lesions and urinary albumin excretion in type 1 diabetes without overt proteinuria. N Engl J Med 320:966–970, 1989Google Scholar
- 8.Østerby R, Early phases in the development of diabetic glomerulopathy: a quantitative electron microscopic study. Acta Med Scand 574:1–85, 1975Google Scholar
- 9.Walker JD, Close CS, Jones SL, Raffpery M, Keen H, Viberti GC, Østerby R, Glomerular structure in type-1 (insulin-dependent) diabetic patients with normo- and micro-albuminuria. Kidney Int 41:741–748, 1992Google Scholar