Cardiac autonomic function in fibrocalculous pancreatic diabetes
- 16 Downloads
Cardiac autonomic function was evaluated in 23 patients with fibrocalculous pancreatic diabetes (FCPD). Though none of the patients had any symptoms referable to autonomic dysfunction, 5 had abnormal heart rate responses. The variability in the heart rate in response to deep breathing was the earliest abnormality found in our patients. Four of the 5 patients had clinical evidence of neuropathy while all 5 had retinopathy and overt nephropathy. We therefore conclude that the autonomic nervous system can be involved in patients with FCDP even as early as 2 years after the onset of the disease, and thus that evaluation of the autonomic nervous system should be part of the routine evaluation of all patients with FCPD.
Key wordsAutonomic function Diabetic neuropathy Fibrocalculous pancreatic diabetes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abubakere E, Tylor R, Gill GR, Alberti KMMM, Tropical or malnutrition related diabetes: a real syndrome? Lancet I:1135, 1986Google Scholar
- 2.Mohan V, Mohan R, Susheela L, et al, Tropical pancreatic diabetes in South India: heterogeneity in clinical and biochemical profile. Diabetologia 28:229, 1985Google Scholar
- 3.Watkins PJ, Diabetic autonomic neuropathy. N Engl J Med 322:1078–1079, 1990Google Scholar
- 4.Ewing DJ, Martin CN, Young RT, Clark BP, The value of cardiovascular autonomic function tests: 10 years' experience in diabetes. Diabetes Care 8:491–498, 1985Google Scholar
- 5.O'Brien IAD, O'Hare JP, Lewin IG, Corall RJM, The prevalence of autonomic neuropathy in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: a controlled study based on heart rate variability. Q J Med 61:957–967, 1986Google Scholar
- 6.Bilous RW, Diabetic autonomic neuropathy. BMJ 301:565, 1990Google Scholar
- 7.Steel JM, Autonomic neuropathy. Diabetes Care 12:170–171, 1989Google Scholar
- 8.Kennedy WR, Navarro X, Goetz FC, Sutherland DER, Najarian JS, Effects of pancreatic transplantation on diabetic neuropathy. N Engl J Med 322:1031–1037, 1990Google Scholar