Logical probability, mathematical statistics, and the problem of induction
In this paper I want to discuss some basic problems of inductive logic, i.e. of the attempt to solve the problem of induction by means of a calculus of logical probability. I shall try to throw some light upon these problems by contrasting inductive logic, based on logical probability, and working with undefined samples of observations, with mathematical statistics, based on statistical probability, and working with representative random samples.
KeywordsRandom Sample Statistical Probability Mathematical Statistic Basic Problem Logical Probability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carnap, R.,Logical Foundations of Probability, Chicago 1950; [1a] 2nd ed. 1962.Google Scholar
- Carnap, R.,The Continuum of Inductive Methods, Chicago 1952.Google Scholar
- Carnap, R., ‘The Aim of Inductive Logic’ inLogic, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science (ed. by E. Nagel, P. Suppes, and A. Tarski), Stanford 1962.Google Scholar
- Carnap, R., ‘Probability and Induction’, in:The Philosophy of Rudolf Carnap (ed. by P. A. Schilpp), La Salle, Ill. 1963.Google Scholar
- Feller, W.,An Introduction to Probability Theory and its Applications, New York 1957.Google Scholar
- Hintikka, J., ‘Towards a Theory of Inductive Generalisation’, inProceedings of the 1964 Congress for Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science (ed. by Y. Bar-Hillel), Amsterdam 1965.Google Scholar
- Hintikka, J., ‘On a Combined System of Inductive Logic’,Acta Philosophica Fennica 18 (1965), 21–30.Google Scholar
- Hintikka, J., ‘A Two-Dimensional Continuum of Inductive Methods', inAspects of Inductive Logic (ed. by J. Hintikka and P. Suppes), Amsterdam 1966.Google Scholar
- Hintikka, J. and J. Pietarinen, ‘Semantic Information and Inductive Logic’, inAspects of Inductive Logic (ed. by J. Hintikka and P. Suppes), Amsterdam 1966.Google Scholar
- Kendall, M. G. and A. Stuart,The Advanced Theory of Statistics, London 1961.Google Scholar
- Popper, K. R.,The Logie of Scientific Discovery, London 1959.Google Scholar
- Vetter, H.,Wahrscheinlichkeit und logischer Spielraum, Tübingen 1967.Google Scholar