Phase studies of the system Li2O-BaO-Nb2O5 in relation to Czochralski growth problems of Ba2LiNb5O15 single crystals
Ba2LiNb5O15 (BLN) is an interesting alternative material to the well known Ba2NaNb5O15 (BSN) for frequency doubling of 1.06 μm YAG laser radiation. Contrary to BSN, no exact details of the BLN phase diagram system were available. Therefore, Czochralski growth of single crystals with an homogeneity range, being desirable for practical applications, appeared difficult. To obtain these important data, appropriate studies of the ternary system BaO-Li2O-Nb2O5 were made. For this the binary sections Li3NbO4-BaNb2O6 and LiNbO3-BaNb2O6 were selected along with further compositions near the stoichiometric ratio and investigated by means of differential thermal analysis and X-ray phase analysis techniques. The results of these investigations, and their application to crystal growth, were tested by selected growth experiments.
KeywordsThermal Analysis Laser Radiation Differential Thermal Analysis Ternary System Stoichiometric Ratio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Hirano, H. Takai andS. Koide,Jap. J. Appl. Phys. 9 (1970) 580.Google Scholar
- 2.O. Bernecker, H. Matthes andA. Marshall,Phys. Stat. Sol. (a) 17 (1973) 453.Google Scholar
- 3.H. Matthes,J. Crystal Growth 15 (1972) 157.Google Scholar
- 4.H. Matthes, A. Marshall, M. Gauntlett andJ. Hesse,J. Crystal Growth, to be published.Google Scholar
- 5.R. S. Roth andJ. L. Waring,J. Res. Nat. Bur. Stand. 65A (1961) 341.Google Scholar
- 6.L. O. Svaasand, M. Eriksrud, A. P. Grande andF. Mo,J. Crystal Growth 18 (1973) 179.Google Scholar
- 7.E. A. Giess, B. A. Scott, G. Burns, A. W. Smith, B. L. Olsen andD. F. O'Kane,Mat. Res. Bull. 5 (1970) 109.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Gäumann,Chimia 20 (1965) 82.Google Scholar
- 9.D. E. Etter, P. A. Tucker andL. J. Wittenberg, “Thermal Analysis”, edited by R. F. Schwenker and P. D. Garn (Academic Press, New York, 1969) p. 829.Google Scholar