Behavior of short fatigue cracks initiated from a notch in 8090 Al-Li alloy
- 22 Downloads
The rates of growth of short fatigue cracks initiated from a notch are much greater than the rates of growth of long fatigue cracks for the same values of ΔK. A decrease in the strength of materials caused by aging affects the behavior of long cracks. The geometric form of the notch strongly affects the behavior of short cracks. The growth rate of a short crack initiated from a sharp notch decreases and attains a minimum value at a length of 0.45 mm, which is far beyond the region of its influence. However, short cracks initiated from blunt notches exhibit slower growth in the region of stress concentration than outside this region. Strain fields induced by deformation of the tip of the notch are not the only factor inhibiting the propagation of short cracks from notches. To explain the behavior of a short crack initiated at a notch, one must take into account some other factors, in particular, crack closure.
KeywordsGrowth Rate Fatigue Fatigue Crack Slow Growth Stress Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. V. Jata and E. A. Starke, Jr.,Metall. Trans. 17A, 1011 (1986).Google Scholar
- 2.K. T. Venkateswara Rao, W. Yu, and R. O. Ritchie,Metall. Trans. 19A, 563 (1988).Google Scholar
- 3.M. R. James,Scr. Met. 21, 783 (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.F. O. Guiu and R. N. Stevens,Fatigue Fract. Eng. Mater. Struct. 13, 625 (1990).Google Scholar
- 5.Z. G. Wang, Y. Zhang, Z. Q. Hu, S. Y. He, and Q. J. Li,Acta Met. Sinica 5A, 436 (1992).Google Scholar
- 6.D. J. Nitholles and J. W. Martin,Fatigue Fract. Eng. Mater. Struct. 13, 83 (1990).Google Scholar
- 7.M. M. Hommoulda, R. A. Smith, and K. J. Miller,Fatigue Fract. Eng. Mater. Struct. 2, 139 (1979).Google Scholar
- 8.R. O. Ritchie and W. Yu, in: R. O. Ritchie and J. Landford (editors),Small Fatigue Cracks, AIME (1986), p. 167.Google Scholar
- 9.M. H. El Haddad, T. H. Topper, and K. N. Smith,Eng. Fract. Mech. 11, 573 (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.H. Kitagawa and S. Takahashi, in:Proc. 2nd Conf. Mech. Behav. Mater., ASM (1976), p. 627.Google Scholar