Characteristics of the lipolytic enzymes of cotton seeds
Three enzymes possessing lipolytic activity have been detected in dormant cotton seeds: a lipase active in acid media with a pH optimum of 4.75, a lipase active in alkaline media with a pH optimum of 8.75, and phospholipase D with a pH optimum of 5.6.
The localization of the enzymes in the seeds has been established and their properties (heat stability, stability in various media, nature of the hydrolysis of the lipids, necessity for phase separation for enzymatic action, etc.) have been described.
The alkaline lipase with a pH optimum of 8.75 is capable of catalyzing the hydrolysis of triglycerides, various oils, Tweens, and esters. It is specifically inhibited by calcium and phosphate ions. Chromatography on Sephadex G-100 has shown that the alkaline lipase represents a whole class of enzymes consisting of six proteins each of which is capable of hydrolyzing tributyrin. Definite quantitative relationships exist between the components.
KeywordsLipase Lecithin Lipase Activity Lipolytic Activity Cotton Seed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.V. N. Luzikov, M. M. Rakhimov, and I. V. Berezin, Biokhim.,33, 1115, 1968.Google Scholar
- 3.V. N. Luzikov, M. M. Rakhimov, and I. V. Berezin, Bioch. Bioph. Acta,180, 429, 1969.Google Scholar
- 4.A. G. Vereshchagin and M. Ganieva, Biokhim.,29, 288, 1964.Google Scholar
- 5.D. N. Vyas, K. C. Patel, and R. D. Patel, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,46, 41, 1969.Google Scholar
- 7.A. J. Angelo, R. L. Ory, and A. M. Altshul, Plant. Physiol.,35, Supl. XVI, 1960.Google Scholar
- 8.Yu. D. Gavrichenkov, E. D. Kazakov, and A. I. Starodubtseva, Prikl. Biokhim. Mikrobiol. [Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology],5, 324, 1969.Google Scholar
- 13.R. L. Ory, A. J. Angelo, and A. M. Altshul. J. Lipid. Res.,3, 99, 1962.Google Scholar
- 14.G. Benzonana, Bioch. Bioph. Acta,151, 137, 1968.Google Scholar
- 21.G. Benzonana and P. Desnuelle, Bioch. Bioph. Acta,105, 121, 1965.Google Scholar
- 22.M. M. Rakhimov, N. R. Dzhanbaeva, and P. Kh. Yuldashev, KhPS [Chemistry of Natural Compounds],6, 642, 1970.Google Scholar