Study of magnetic field, rock magnetization and lunar electrical conductivity in the Bay Le Monnier
- 23 Downloads
The data of three-times repeated magnetic survey of the section of Lunokhod-2 route 1.5 km long are analyzed. The linear size of the regions of magnetic field anomalies disclosed is 200–300 m. The results of magnetic survey near the tectonic break of Straight Rille and near the south rim of crater Le Monnier were used for estimation of rock magnetization in situ. It is shown that mare basalts in south-east region of crater Le Monnier have oblique magnetization (at the angle ç30° to horizon). The magnitude of magnetization is × 5 × 10−5 G cm g−1. The south-east slope of the crater Le Monnier is magnetized roughly vertically, the upper limit of magnetization of the rocks of the rim is ç 1 × 10−5 G cm3 g−1. The results of an analysis of 160 magnetic field variations recorded by Lunokhod-2 indicate that the horizontal components of variations have nearly linear polarization. The principal axes of hodographs stretch in the direction north-west-south-east. Such a polarization of variations may be due to an increase of the thickness of the upper isolated layer under Mare Serenitatis.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Electrical Conductivity Horizontal Component Linear Polarization Field Variation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bazilevsky, A. T.: 1974,Izvestia Akad. Nauk S.S.S.R., Ser. Geolog. 8, 139.Google Scholar
- Dolginov, Sh. Sh., Yeroshenko, Ye. G., Zhuzgov, L. N., Sharova, V. A., Vnuchkov, G. A., Okulessky, B. A., and Bazilevsky, A. T.: 1974, Soviet-American Conference on Cosmochemistry of the Moon and Planets, Moscow, June 4–8, Preprints 11, No. 256.Google Scholar
- Dyal, P., Parkin, C. W., Snyder, C. W., and Clay, D. R.: 1972,Nature 236, 381.Google Scholar
- Fairfield, D. H. and Ness, N. F.: 1970,J. Geophys. Res. 75, 6050.Google Scholar
- Fuller, M.: 1974,Rev. Geophys. Space Phys. 12, 23.Google Scholar
- Kocharov, G. E. and Victorov, S. V.: 1974,Dokl. Akad. Nauk S.S.S.R. 214, 71.Google Scholar
- Mariani, F., Bavassano, B., and Ness, N. F.: 1970,J. Geophys. Res. 75, 6037.Google Scholar
- Nagata, T., Ishikawa, Y., Kinoshita, H., Kono, M., Syono, Y., and Fisher, R. M.: 1970,Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, Suppl. 1 34, 2325.Google Scholar
- Sonett, C. P., Smith, B. F., Schubert, G., Colburn, D. S., and Schwartz, K.: 1974, ‘Polarized Electromagnetic Response of the Moon’,Fifth Lunar Sci. Conf., Houston, Texas.Google Scholar