High-resolution radar maps of the lunar surface at 3.8-cm wavelength
- 71 Downloads
The entire earth-facing lunar surface has been mapped at a resolution of 2 km using the 3.8-cm radar of Haystack Observatory. The observations yield the distribution of relative radar backscattering efficiency with an accuracy of about 10% for both the polarized (primarily quasispecular or coherent) and depolarized (diffuse or incoherent) scattered components. The results show a variety of discrete radar features, many of which are correlated with craters or other features of optical photographs. Particular interest, however, attaches to those features with substantially different radio and optical contrasts. An anomaly near 63° is noted in the mean angular scattering law obtained from a summary of the radar data.
KeywordsRadar Radar Data Lunar Surface Angular Scatter Optical Photograph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Evans, J. V. and Hagfors, T.: 1971, inAdv. Astron. and Astrophys., Academic Press, New York and London, pp. 29–105.Google Scholar
- Moore, H. J. and Zisk, S. H.: 1973, ‘Calibration of Radar Data from Apollo 17 and Other Mission Results’, submitted forApollo 17 Preliminary Science Report, NASA; to be published.Google Scholar
- Pettengill, G. H. and Thompson, T. W.: 1968,Icarus 8, 457–471.Google Scholar
- Pettengill, G. H., Zisk, S. H., Thompson, T. W.: 1973,The Moon, this issue, p. 3.Google Scholar
- Pieters, C., McCord, T. B., Zisk, S. H., and Adams, J. B.: ‘Lunar Black Spots and the Nature of the Apollo 17 Landing Area’,J. Geophys. Res., to be published.Google Scholar
- Pollack, J. B. and Whitehill, L.: 1972,J. Geophys. Res. 77, 4289–4303.Google Scholar
- Thompson, T. W.: 1973,The Moon, this issue, p. 51.Google Scholar
- Tyler, G. L.: 1968,Nature 219, 1243–1244.Google Scholar
- Zisk, S. H. and Moore, H. J.: 1972,Apollo 16 Preliminary Science Report, NASA SP-315, Government Printing Office.Google Scholar
- Zisk, S. H., Carr, M. H., Masursky, H., Shorthill, R. W., and Thompson, T. W.: 1971,Science 173, 808–811.Google Scholar