High-temperature synthesis of tungsten carbide in a methane-hydrogen gas medium
- 103 Downloads
Tungsten carbide synthesis in a methane-hydrogen medium have been studied and the conditions for obtaining WC power with no free-carbon impurity determined. Hard alloys based on a “gas” carbide have been shown to exhibit high ductility. The results of the study have been used to develop a commercial process to produce high-ductile hard alloys for high-pressure equipment, stamping dies, and drilling tools.
KeywordsCarbide Tungsten Ductility Drilling Tungsten Carbide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. I. Tret'yakov, V. K. Senchikhin, N. K. Vaskevich, and T. B. Gorbacheva, “Influence of cobalt on methane carbidizing of tungsten,” Poroshk. Metall., No. 11, 32–37 (1990).Google Scholar
- 2.S. Takatsu, “A new continuous process for production of WC-Co mixed powder by rotary kilns,” Powder Met. Int.,10, No. 1, 13–15 (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.F. P. Gortsema and P. S. Kotvall, “The preparation of ‘precursor-derived’ WC-Co powder and the properties of cemented carbide cuttings tools made therefrom,” Planseeberichte fur Pulvermet,24, No. 4, 254–270 (1976).Google Scholar
- 4.S. Takatsu, “Effect of cobalt on the carburization rate of tungsten,” J. Jpn. Inst. Met.,43, No. 4, 281–286 (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.V. P. Bondarenko and É. G. Pavlotskaya, “Study of the interaction of sintered VK6 hard alloys with a protective gaseous medium,” in: Proceedings of Fourth International Conference on Powder Metallurgy, Vysokie Tatry, Czechoslovak Socialist Republic (1974), pp. 67–80.Google Scholar
- 6.A. S. Petukhov, I. V. Uvarova, V. P. Bondarenko, et al., “Laws of low-temperature synthesis of tungsten carbide and a mixture of WC-Co in a methane—hydrogen gaseous medium,” Poroshk. Metall., No. 10, 31–35 (1992).Google Scholar
- 7.V. A. Ivensen, Sintering Phenomenology [Russian translation], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.K. Becker, “Die Konstitution der Wolframkarbide,” Z. fur Electrochemie,34, No. 9, 640–642 (1928).Google Scholar
- 9.G. A. Meerson and A. N. Zelikman, Metallurgy of Rare Metals [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1955).Google Scholar
- 10.M. G. Loshak, “Strength and longevity of hard alloys,” Naukovn. Dumka, Kiev (1984).Google Scholar