Mechanism of growth of short cracks and durability of workpieces
- 18 Downloads
The principal regularities of the growth of short cracks were established by direct observation with a scanning electron microscope. We propose a model that describes their growth and enables one to calculate the kinetics of growth of short cracks from both a smooth surface and stress concentrators. The growth of shorts crack is represented as successive failures of periodically located structural obstacles upon accumulation of critical plastic strain under cyclic loading.
KeywordsElectron Microscope Scanning Electron Microscope Plastic Strain Smooth Surface Direct Observation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. A. Vigdorchik, A. V. Fishgoit, and V. V. Luk'yanenko, “On the mechanism of fatigue crack growth in VT6, D16, and AK4-1 alloys,” in:Treatment of Light and Heat-Resistant Alloys [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.B. A. Kolachev, A. V. Fishgoit, and I. A. Lebedev, “Direct observation of fatigue crack growth in VT6L alloy,”Fiz. Met. Metalloved. 59, No. 3, 600–604 (1985).Google Scholar
- 3.A. V. Fishgoit, V. M. Maistrov, A. A. Il'in, and M. A. Rozanov, “Interaction of short cracks with the structure of metals,”Fiz.-Khim. Mekh. Mater. 25, No. 6, 24–27 (1989).Google Scholar
- 4.V. M. Maistrov, M. A. Rozanov, and A. V. Fishgoit, “A model of short crack growth,” in:Abstracts of the 23th All-Union Conf. on Problems of the Strength of Engines [in Russian], Moscow (1990), p. 121.Google Scholar
- 5.A. V. Fishgoit, V. M. Maistrov, and V. M. Rozanov, “The short crack growth model,” in:Strength and Fracture, Vol. 4 (1991).Google Scholar
- 6.A. M. Vasyutin, “Criterion of elastoplastic fracture as applied to short cracks,”Zavod. Lab. 51, No. 4, 71–73 (1985).Google Scholar
- 7.S. Pearson, “Initiation of fatigue cracks in commercial aluminium alloys and the subsequent propagation of very short cracks,”Eng. Fract. Mech. 7, No. 2, 235–247 (1975).Google Scholar
- 8.J. R. Griffiths and P. R. J. Owen, “An elastic-plastic stress analysis for a notched bar in plane strain bending,”J. Mech. Phys. Solids 19, 419–431 (1971).Google Scholar
- 9.M. H. El Haddad, N. E. Dowling, T. H. Tooper, and K. N. Smith, “J-integral applications for short fatigue cracks at notches,”Int. J. Fract. 16, No. 1, 15–30 (1980).Google Scholar
- 10.I. V. Fridman,Mechanical Properties of Metals [in Russian], Mashinostroenie, Moscow (1974).Google Scholar