Altered nucleosome spacing associated with down syndrome
- 25 Downloads
Micrococcal nuclease digestions of human leukocytes were analyzed using gel electrophoresis. The relative size (or average number of nucleotides) of nucleosomes was determined. The mean nucleosome size of the normal 46 chromosome karyotype is 185±2 bp. There was no significant variation in nucleosome size within the normal population due to age, sex, or race. The mean nucleosome size of the Down syndrome samples is 173±3 bp. These two groups have separate normal distribution curves which do not overlap and are significantly different atP<0.1%.
Key wordstrisomy chromatin average nucleosome size Down syndrome karyotype
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cassen, B., Hitt, J., and Hays, E. F. (1958). The efficient separation of lymphocytes from normal human blood.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 52778.Google Scholar
- Fedorova, K. N. (1977). The structure of human cell interphase chromatin in the mosaic form of Down's disease.J. Ment. Defic. Res. 2185.Google Scholar
- Fedorova, K. N., and Yudina, I. E. (1982). Lymphocyte interphase chromatin in healthy subjects, patients with Down's syndrome, and their parents and sibs.J. Med. Genet. 19427.Google Scholar
- Jenkin, J. (1990).Human Genetics Harper and Row, New York, pp. 45, 164–180.Google Scholar
- Pash, J., Popescu, N., Matocha, M., Rapoport, S., and Bustin, M. (1990). Chromosomal protein HMG-14 gene maps to Down syndrome region of human chromosome 21 and is overexpressed in mouse trisomy 16.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 873836.Google Scholar
- Rake, A. V. (1990). Nucleosome unit repeat size in aneuploid mice.Biochem. Genet. 28389.Google Scholar
- Rake, A., and Edwards, R. H. (1987). Altered chromatin structure associated with a partial trisomy of chromosome 7 in the mouse.Biochem. Genet. 25671.Google Scholar
- Rake, A., Patel, B., and DeLeon, M. (1989). Effect of a partial trisomy in the mouse upon cellular and nuclear RNA.Biochem. Genet. 27403.Google Scholar
- Smith, R. D., Searle, R. L., and Yu, J. (1983). Transcribed chromatin exhibits an altered nucleosomal spacing.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 805505.Google Scholar
- Wardlaw, A. C. (1985).Practical Statistics for Experimental Biologists John Wiley and Sons, New York, pp. 1–70.Google Scholar