Connection between velocity of sound, sound damping coefficient, and strength of ultra-high modulus fibres
- 69 Downloads
The strength of high-modulus yarns is connected by a direct linear dependence with the rate of sound propagation and by an inverse linear dependence with the damping coefficient of ultrasonic waves.
Thermal aging leads to a monotonic decrease in yarn strength and rate of sonic wave propagation, and to a linear increase in the damping coefficient, a change in molecular orientation always causing a more marked change in the damping coefficient than in the velocity of sound.
The linear dependence between c (σ) and α (σ) is broken up in the case of heat-drawn yarns; this is connected with formation of defects in the material.
KeywordsPolymer Wave Propagation Linear Dependence Linear Increase Marked Change
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. I. Perepechko, Acoustic Methods of Polymer Investigation [in Russian], Khimiya, Moscow (1973).Google Scholar
- 2.B. D. Rysyuk and M. P. Nosov, Mechanical Anisotropy of Polymers [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.A. I. Potapov and F. P. Pekker, Nondestructive Control of Constructions from Composite Materials [in Russian], Mashinostroenie, Leningrad (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.M. V. Gemberg, S. V. Ilyushin, and V. I. Smirnoy, Nondestructive Methods of Control for Shipbuilding Fiberglass Plastics [in Russian], Sudostroenie, Leningrad (1971).Google Scholar
- 5.A. K. Malmeister, Elasticity and Nonelasticity of Concrete [in Russian], Akad. Nauk Latv. SSR, Riga (1957).Google Scholar
- 6.V. A. Latishenko, Mekh. Polim., No. 2, 334–343 (1967).Google Scholar
- 7.K. E. Perepelkin, Mekh. Polim., No. 6, 845–856 (1966).Google Scholar
- 8.V. A. Latishenko, Diagnosis of the Strength and Stiffness of Materials [in Russian], Zinatne, Riga (1968).Google Scholar
- 9.V. I. Vettegren', A. A. Kusov, L. N. Korzhavin, et al., Vysokomol. Soed., Ser. A,24, No. 9, 1958–1967 (1982).Google Scholar
- 10.S. N. Zhurkov and V. A. Petrov, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,329, No. 6, 1316–1319 (1978).Google Scholar
- 11.A. A. Kusov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela,21, No. 10, 3095–3099 (1979).Google Scholar
- 12.S. N. Zhurkov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela,22, No. 1, 3344–3349 (1980).Google Scholar
- 13.A. A. Kusov and V. I. Vettegren', Fiz. Tverd. Tela,22, No. 11, 3350–3357 (1980).Google Scholar
- 14.V. Ya. Genin, A Study of the Resource Parameters of Mechanical Properties of Tire Cord Materials, Author's Abstract of Candidate's Dissertation in Technical Sciences, Moscow (1972).Google Scholar
- 15.I. F. Brener, Application of the Acoustic Method for Nondestructive Control of Textile Materials Quality, Author's Abstract of Candidate's Dissertation in Technical Sciences, Moscow (1974).Google Scholar
- 16.B. Kh. Yunusov and M. P. Nosov, Methodological Bases for Measurement and Calculations of Damping of Ultrasonic Energy in Fibres, NII Informatsii Gosplane Uzb. SSR, Tashkent (1983).Google Scholar