Sequence homology between a bacterial metalloproteinase and eukaryotic matrix metalloproteinases
- 42 Downloads
The origin and evolution of matrix metalloproteinases represent an exciting subject of study. Recently, various reports have searched for a relationship between bacterial and eukaryotic metalloproteinases. In this report, we constructed a phylogenetic tree using the amino acid sequence of one bacterial metalloproteinase and eight eukaryotic matrix metalloproteinases and performed multiple alignments with some of these sequences. We concluded that there is a familial relationship between members of the four major branches represented in the tree.
Key wordsMolecular evolution Metalloproteinase Collagenase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Basset P, Belocq JP, Wolf C, Hutin P, Limavher JM, Podhajcer OL, Chenard MP, Rio MC, and Chambon P (1991) Nature 348:699–704Google Scholar
- Higgins DG, Sharp PM (1988) Gene 73:237–244Google Scholar
- Jongeneel CV, Bouvier J, Bairoch A (1989) FEBS Lett 242:211–214Google Scholar
- Matrisian LM (1990) TIGS 6:121–126Google Scholar
- Murphy GPG, Murphy G, Reynolds JJ (1991) FEBS Lett 289:4–7Google Scholar
- Woessner JF (1991) FASEB J 5:2145–2154Google Scholar