Bulk diffusion enhancement due to grain-boundary migration
- 71 Downloads
This paper reports bulk diffusion enhancement under conditions where grain-boundary migration and grain growth, or grain growth only take place during the time of the diffusion experiment.
Although a substantial contribution to diffusion takes place through grain-boundaries the penetration curves measured remain Gaussian, as suggested by Balluffi and Ruoff . The apparent enhancement measured is about a factor of two. However, it is shown that the real enhancement due to migration of grain-boundaries during the diffusion experiment may be as large as a factor of fifty.
KeywordsPolymer Migration Substantial Contribution Bulk Diffusion Diffusion Experiment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. G. Shewmon, “Diffusion in Solids” (Mc-GrawHill, New York, 1963).Google Scholar
- 2.E. W. Hart,Acta Met. 5 (1957) 597.Google Scholar
- 3.A. L. Ruoff andR. W. Balluffi,J. Appl. Phys. 34 (1963) 1848.Google Scholar
- 4.C. Leymonie, “Les Traceurs Radiactifs en Metallurgie Physique” (Dunod, Paris, 1960).Google Scholar
- 5.N. Walsoe De Reca andC. A. Pampillo,Acta. Met. 15 (1967) 1263.Google Scholar
- 6.D. L. Styris andC. T. Tomizuka,J. Appl. Phys. 34 (1963) 1001.Google Scholar