The formation and microstructure of dental silicate cements
- 45 Downloads
The chemistry of the cement-forming reaction between phosphoric acid solutions and fluorine-containing aluminosilicate glasses has been studied using a variety of physicochemical methods. These materials are the dental silicate cements and the microstructures of a number of these cements have been examined by optical, electron and scanning electron microscopy. The element distribution between partially reacted glass particles and the gel matrix which binds them has been determined by electron probe microanalysis.
The chemical stability and variations in the mechanical strength between different cements is discussed in terms of a new hypothesis on the constitution of the gel matrix. Consideration is given to the possible strengthening role of microcrystallinity which has been shown by X-ray and electron diffraction to develop in the matrix. Attempts to strengthen the cement by incorporation of reinforcing agents is described.
KeywordsPolymer Microstructure Electron Microscopy Scanning Electron Microscopy Silicate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. W. Skinner andR. W. Phillips, “The Science of Dental Materials”, 6th Edn. (W. B. Saunders and Co, Philadelphia and London, 1967), p. 492.Google Scholar
- 2.F. A. Peyton, “Restorative Dental Materials” (C. V. Mosby, St Louis, 1964), p. 508.Google Scholar
- 3.B. Axelsson,Odont Revy 15 (1964) 150.Google Scholar
- 4.J. A. R. Genge, A. Holroyd, J. E. Salmon, andJ. G. L. Wall,Chem. Industr. (1955) 357.Google Scholar
- 5.J. E. Salmon andJ. G. L. Wall,J. Chem. Soc. (1958) 1128.Google Scholar
- 6.A. D. Wilson andR. J. Mesley,J. Dent. Res. 47 (1968) 644.Google Scholar
- 7.Féderation Dentaire Internationale, Specification for Dental Silicate Cement,Internat. Dent. J. 11 (1961) 536.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Woxen,Industrial Diamond Review 4 (1944) 241.Google Scholar
- 9.A. D. Wilson, B. E. Kent, andR. F. Batchelor,J. Dent. Res. 47 (1968) 233.Google Scholar
- 10.A. D. Wilson andB. E. Kent,ibid 47 (1967) 463.Google Scholar
- 11.B. E. Kent andA. D. Wilson,ibid 48 (1969) 412.Google Scholar
- 12.A. D. Wilson andB. E. Kent,ibid 49 (1970) 7.Google Scholar
- 13.Idem, ibid,49 (1970) 21.Google Scholar
- 14.A. D. Wilson, B. E. Kent, R. F. Batchelor, B. G. Scott, andB. G. Lewis,ibid 49 (1970) 307.Google Scholar
- 15.Council on Dental Research,J. Amer. Dent. Assn. 65 (1962) 428.Google Scholar
- 16.H. F. N. Taylor, “The Chemistry of Cements”,vol. 1 (Academic Press, London, 1964) p. 20.Google Scholar
- 17.S. Chatterji andJ. W. Jeffery,Nature 214 (1967) 559.Google Scholar