Creep and recovery of polycarbonate
- 66 Downloads
The creep behaviour of polycarbonate was investigated at high stresses in tension and compression. The creep curve was separated into a recoverable strain and persistent strain. The equation describing the recoverable strain was directly related to the kinetics of the recovery curve. The concept of an internal stress was useful in describing the recoverable part of the creep and recovery.
The persistent strain-rate was related to the failure of the material by accelerated creep. Measurements of the temperature during creep showed that heating was not responsible for the occurrence of the material softening which lead to accelerated creep.
It was found that the strain behaviour during loading and unloading was asymmetrical in that the instantaneous loading strain was less than the instantaneous unloading strain.
KeywordsPolymer High Stress Polycarbonate Internal Stress Creep Behaviour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.O. D. Sherby andJ. E. Dorn,J. Mech. and Phys. Solids 6 (1956) 145.Google Scholar
- 2.I. V. Yannas andA. C. Lunn,J. Macromol. Sci.-Phys. B4-(3) (1970) 603.Google Scholar
- 3.I. V. Yannas, N-H. Sung, andA. C. Lunn,ibid B5 (1971) 487.Google Scholar
- 4.I. V. Yannas andM. J. Doyle,J. Polymer Sci. A-2 10 (1972) 159.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Bauwens-Crowet, J-C. Bauwens, andG. Homes,ibid A-2,7 (1969) 735.Google Scholar
- 6.Idem J. Mater Sci. 7 (1972) 176.Google Scholar
- 7.J-C. Bauwens,ibid 7 (1972) 577.Google Scholar
- 8.D. J. Matz, W. G. Guldemond, andS. L. Cooper,J. Polymer Sci., Polym. Physics 10 (1972) 1917.Google Scholar
- 9.M. M. Stratonova,Polymer Mechanics (Soviet) 3 (1972) 445, original,Mekhanika Polimerovs 3 (1967) 671.Google Scholar
- 10.R. E. Robertson andA. M. Patel, G. E. Report No. 72CRD123 (1972).Google Scholar
- 11.M. Higuchi andY. Imai,J. Appl. Poly. Sci. 14 (1970) 2377.Google Scholar
- 12.D. H. Ender andR. D. Andrews,J. Appl. Phys. 36 (1965) 3057.Google Scholar
- 13.K. D. Mears, R. Pae, andJ. A. Sauer,J. Polymer Sci. B6 (1968) 773.Google Scholar
- 14.S. Rabinowitz andI. M. Ward,J. Mater. Sci. 5 (1970) 29.Google Scholar
- 15.I. M. Ward,ibid 6 (1971) 1397.Google Scholar
- 16.G. I. Gurevich, Tr.In-ta fiziki Zemli AN SSSR 2 (1959) 60.Google Scholar
- 17.A. S. Nowick andE. S. Machlin,J. Appl. Phys. 18 (1947) 79.Google Scholar
- 18.H. Eyring,J. Chem. Phys. 4 (1936) 283.Google Scholar