Synthesis and X-ray crystallography of aluminium boron carbide, Al8B4C7
- 146 Downloads
A new compound of aluminium boron carbide, Al8B4C7, has been successfully synthesized. Single-crystal and powder X-ray crystallographic data on Al8B4C7 are given, and the possible space group is identified as P63 cm, P¯6c2, or P63/mcm. Powder X-ray diffraction lines are indexed in the 2θ-range from 10° to 110°. The unit cell dimensions obtained from a least-square fit computer program are: a=5.906±0.002 Å, c=15.901±0.001 Å, V=480.43±0.03 Å3. In addition, the possibility of a wide range variance of boron content in this compound is denied.
KeywordsCarbide Boron Crystallographic Data Range Variance Cell Dimension
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Prochazka and R. M. Scanlan, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 58 (1975) 72.Google Scholar
- 2.S. Prochazka and R. J. Charles, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 52 (1973) 885.Google Scholar
- 3.Y. Murata and R. H. Smoak, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Factors in Densification and Sintering of Oxide and Non-oxide Ceramics, Hakone, 1978, edited by S. Somiya and S. Saito (Association for Science Documents Information, Tokyo, 1979) p. 382.Google Scholar
- 4.Y. Inomata, H. Tanaka, Z. Inoue and H. Kawabata, J. Ceram. Soc. Jap. 88 (1980) 353.Google Scholar
- 5.V. I. Matkovich, J. Conomy and R. F. Giese, Jr, J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 86 (1964) 2337.Google Scholar
- 6.N. F. M. Henry and K. Lonsdale, Eds, “International Tables for X-ray Crystallography” Vol. I (Kynoch Press, Birmingham, 1969) pp. 292, 295, 302.Google Scholar
- 7.D. E. Appleman and H. T. Evans, Jr, National Technical Information Service, Publication Number PB-216 188 (1973).Google Scholar