A group theoretical study of f n systems in an environment of approximately icosahedral symmetry
- 23 Downloads
Group theoretical methods are developed to determine in a generalised format for an f n ion in a crystal field environment of icosahedral symmetry, the effect on the energy level scheme when a crystal field distortion is considered parallel to any direction. As an illustration, the effect on the g-tensor components are examined as a function of the magnitude and the direction of the crystal field distortion. All appropriate reduced matrix elements in group theoretical terminology are evaluated for the f n -ion ground states. Specific results are given for the f3-ion case and compared with electron paramagnetic resonance, optical, and magnetic susceptibility data.
Key wordsfn-systems icosahedral symmetry g-tensors generalised crystal field distortions e.p.r.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Judd, B. R.: Proc. Roy. Soc. (London), A232, 458 (1955)Google Scholar
- 2.Tinsley, J.: J. Chem. Phys. 39, 3503 (1968)Google Scholar
- 3.Beincke, J., Delgaudio, J.: Inorg. Chem. 7, 715 (1968)Google Scholar
- 4.Dexter, D. D., Silverton, J. V.: J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 90, 3589 (1968)Google Scholar
- 5.Casellato, U., Vigato, P. A.: Coord. Chem. Rev. 36, 183 (1981)Google Scholar
- 6.Edmonds, A. R.: Angular momentum in quantum mechanics. Princeton New Jersey: Princeton University Press 1960Google Scholar
- 7.Golding, R. M.: Molec. Phys. 26, 661 (1973)Google Scholar
- 8.Earney, J. J., Finn, C. B. P., Najafabadi, B. M.: J. Phys. C 4, 1013 (1971)Google Scholar