Status of air pollution caused by coal washery projects in India
- 135 Downloads
The importance of coal washeries in India is growing as local coals have a high ash content. At present, there are 23 coal washeries with an annual rated input of 45 Million Tonnes. During the various operations in washeries, large amounts of dusts and gaseous pollutants are generated. Four coal washery projects were surveyed to study their air pollution characteristics. Air monitoring stations were set up in local industrial, residential and sensitive areas and air pollution samples were collected along with micro-meteorological data. Diurnal variations of SPM, SO2 NOx and CO are discussed. SPM concentrations were found to exceed the permissible limits at all locations. SO2 and NOx were also found to exceed the permissible limit in residential and sensitive areas. It was observed that about 50% of the dust particles were less than 10 µ in diameter. Benzene soluble matter in SPM ranged from 45–62%.
KeywordsDust Benzene Diurnal Variation Dust Particle Monitoring Station
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allin, T.: 1968, Particle Size Measurement, Chapman and Hall, London.Google Scholar
- Dust Problem Due to Washery, CMRS report (1961).Google Scholar
- Ghose, M. K.: 1989, ‘Pollution Due to Air-borne Dust Particles in Coal Mining, its Measurement and Abatement Measures’, Mine Tech. 10(1).Google Scholar
- Ghose, M. K. and Sinha, D. K.: 1990, ‘Air Pollution Control Plan in Coal Mining Areas’, Ind. J. Env. Prot. 10(10).Google Scholar
- Ghose, M. K. and Ashok, K.: 1993a, ‘Impact of Surface Water Quality Due to the Discharge of Coal Washery Effluents and Dispersion Profile of Pollutants in Damodar River’, Asian Environment Jr. Philippines 15(1).Google Scholar
- Ghose, M. K. and Ashok, K.: 1993b, ‘Use of Coagulants for Removal of Suspended Solids and Control of Water Pollution Due to Coal Washery Effluents’, Ind. J. Env. Health. 335,(3).Google Scholar
- Khoury, D. L.: 1981, Coal Cleaning Technology, N. D. C. Park Ridge, New Tessey. USA.Google Scholar
- Methods of Air Sampling and Analysis: 1977, (2nd ed.) APHA.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, R.: 1956, Coal Preparation, New York.Google Scholar
- Morris, B. Jackobs: 1960, The Chemical Analysis of Air Pollutants, International Science Publishers, New York.Google Scholar