The suitability of a single intertidal fish trap for the assessment of long-term trends in fish and epibenthic invertebrate populations
The suitability of a single intertidal fish trap for the assessment of long-term trends in fish and epibenthic invertebrate relies upon the assumption of an on-average constant sampling fraction from the study population. This assumption was examined by comparing trends over years in five different traps within the study area. For some species, like cod, the traps showed more or less parallel fluctuations. This is in agreement with the assumption. However, for other species, like mackerel, the assumption was invalidated by distinct trends over years.
KeywordsEnvironmental Management Sampling Fraction Distinct Trend Constant Sampling Fish Trap
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Buchanan, J. B. and Moore, J. J.: 1986, ‘Long-term studies at a benthic station off the coast of Northumberland’, Hydrobiologia 142, 121–127.Google Scholar
- Buck, D. H. and Thoits, C. F.: 1965, ‘An evaluation of Petersen estimation procedures employing seines in 1-acre pounds’, J. Wildl. Manag. 29, 598–621.Google Scholar
- Cadée, G. C. and Hegeman, J.: 1993, ‘Persisting high levels of primary production at declining phosphate concentrations in the Dutch coastal area’, Neth. J. Sea Res. 31, 147–152.Google Scholar
- Kuipers, B.: 1975, ‘On the efficiency of a two-metre beam trawl for juvenile plaice (Pleuronectes platessa)’, Neth. J. Sea Res. 9, 69–85.Google Scholar
- Lundälv, T., Larsson, C. S. and Axelsson, L.: 1986, ‘Long-term trends in algal dominated rocky subtidal communities on the Swedish west coast — a transitional system?’, Hydrobiologia 142, 81–95.Google Scholar
- McCullagh, P. and Nelder, J. A.: 1989, Generalized Linear Models 2nd edn. Chapman and Hall, London.Google Scholar
- McIntyre, A. D., Elliott, J. M. and Ellis, D. V.: 1984, ‘Introduction: design of sampling programmes’, in N. A. Holme and A. D. McIntyre (Eds.), Methods for the Study of Marine Benthos, Blackwell, Oxford, 1–26.Google Scholar
- Payne, R. W., Lane, P. W., Ainsley, A. E., Bicknell, K. E., Digby, P. G. N., Harding, S. A., Leech, P. K., Simpson, H. R., Todd, A. D., Verrier, P. J. and White, R. P.: 1987, GENSTAT 5 Reference Manual, Clarendon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Seber, G. A. F.: 1973, The Estimation of Animal Abundance. Griffin, London.Google Scholar
- Van der Veer, H. W., Witte, J. I., Beumkes, H. A., Dapper, R. and Van der Meer, J.: 1992, ‘Intertidal fish traps as a tool to study long-term trends in juvenile flatfish populations’, Neth. J. Sea Res. 29, 119–126.Google Scholar