Effect of additive-oxide amount on sintering of Si3N4 with Y2O3 and Nd2O3
- 47 Downloads
The effect of additive amount on the gas-pressure sintering of silicon nitride is investigated. Silicon nitride containing 0.5 to 10 mol % (SN10) of equimolar Y2O3-Nd2O3 is fired at 1600 to 1900 °C for 4 h in 10 M Pa N2 gas. A small amount of oxide (1 mol %; SN1) is effective for densification as well as a larger amount of oxide (6–10 mol %) when fired at 1900 °C. Composition analysis of sintered specimens indicates that SN1 densifies through a small amount of SiO2-rich liquid-phase, whereas SN10 densifies by way of a large amount of additive-oxide-rich liquid phase.
KeywordsOxide Polymer Silicon Liquid Phase Nitride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Katayama, T. Watanabe, K. Matoba and N. Katoh, SAE Technical Paper Series 861 128 (1986).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Matoba, K. Katayama, M. Kawamura and T. Mizuno, SAE Technical Paper Series 880 702 (1988).Google Scholar
- 4.D. Richerson, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 52 (1973) 560.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Becker and F. Thummler, in “Energy and Ceramics”, edited by P. Vincenzini (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1980) p. 610.Google Scholar
- 6.Y. Miyamoto, K. Tanaka, M. Shimada and M. Koizumi, in “Ceramic Materials and Components for Engines”, edited by W. Bunk and H. Hausner (German Ceramic Society, Bad Honnef, 1986) p. 271.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Mitomo, M. Tsutsumi, E. Bannai and T. Tanaka, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 55 (1976) 313.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Mitomo and K. Mizuno, in “Ceramic Materials and Components for Engines”, edited by W. Bunk and H. Hausner (German Ceramic Society, Bad Honnef, 1986) p. 263.Google Scholar
- 16.S. Slasor, K. Liddell and D. P. Thompson, in “Special Ceramics 8”, edited by S. P. Howlett and D. Taylor (Institute of Ceramics, Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent, UK, 1986) p. 51.Google Scholar
- 17.E. M. Levin, C. R. Robbins and H. F. McMurdie, in “Phase Diagrams for Ceramists” (American Ceramic Society, Columbus, Ohio, 1969) Figs 2381 and 2388.Google Scholar
- 22.G. E. Gazza, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 54 (1975) 778.Google Scholar