Pressureless sintering of Al2O3-SiC whisker composites
- 63 Downloads
High-density compacts, up to 88% theoretical density, of Al2O3-SiC whiskers were prepared by a pressure casting and impregnation technique. Starting with these green bodies, composites of Al2O3−20 vol% SiC whiskers were pressureless sintered to higher than 95% theoretical density. They were further densified by hot isostatic pressing up to 99% theoretical density, resulting in a rupture strength of 680 MPa and a fracture toughness of 4.70 Mpa m1/2.
KeywordsPolymer Al2O3 Fracture Toughness Theoretical Density Green Body
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. F. Becher and G. C. Wei, Commun. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 63 (1984) C267.Google Scholar
- 2.G. C. Wei and P. F. Becher, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 64 (1985) 298.Google Scholar
- 4.P. D. Shalek, J. J. Petrovic, G. F. Hurley and F. D. Gac, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 65 (1986) 351.Google Scholar
- 5.K. P. Gadkaree and K. Chyung, ibid. 65 (1986) 370.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Homeny, W. L. Vaughn and M. K. Ferber, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 67 (1987) 333.Google Scholar
- 9.J. R. Porter, ibid. 66 (1987) 343.Google Scholar
- 13.T. N. Tiegs and P. F. Becher, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 66 (1987) 339.Google Scholar
- 20.Powder Diffraction File, Card No. 10-173 (Joint Committee on Powder Diffraction Standards, Swarthmore, PA) (1959).Google Scholar
- 21.Powder Diffraction File, Card No. 29-1129 (Joint Committee on Powder Diffraction Standards, Swarthmore, PA) (1977).Google Scholar