Microstructure and optical absorption of silver granules in oxide glasses produced by ion-exchange and reduction treatments
An electron micrographic investigation has been carried out on two oxide glasses containing alkali ions and subjected to a sodium⇌silver ion-exchange followed by reduction treatments at various temperatures. The presence of metallic silver in the silver-rich droplet phases has been confirmed by selected-area electron diffraction. The silver-rich phases are found to have diameters ranging from 3 to 50 nm. The nucleus density of these particles is found to have a maximum value at temperatures in the range 250 to 300° C. The optical absorption spectra of the reduced glasses show a maximum around a wavelength of 400 nm. Maxwell-Garnett theory has been used to calculate the optical absorption and the predicted wavelength for maximum absorption is in reasonable agreement with the experimental value.
KeywordsMicrostructure Absorption Spectrum Maximum Absorption Electron Diffraction Optical Absorption
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. H. Doremus, J. Chem. Phys. 40 (1964) 2389.Google Scholar
- 2.Idem, ibid. 42 (1965) 414.Google Scholar
- 3.C. R. Berry and D. C. Skillman, J. Appl. Phys. 42 (1971) 2818.Google Scholar
- 4.H. Rawson, “Properties and Application of Glasses”, Glass Science and Technology 3 (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1980) p. 218.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Chakravorty, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 15 (1974) 191.Google Scholar
- 6.G. C. Das, T. K. Reddy and D. Chakravorty, J. Mater. Sci. 13 (1978) 2211.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Chakravorty, A. Shuttleworth and P. H. Gaskell, ibid. 10 (1975) 799.Google Scholar
- 8.D. Chakravorty, B. N. Keshavaram and A. Venkateswaran, ibid. 14 (1979) 7991.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Chakravorty, R. Bhatnagar and B. Sharma, Mater. Eng. 2 (1981) 118.Google Scholar
- 10.R. Landauer, “Electrical Transport and Optical Properties of Inhomogeneous Media”, edited by J. C. Garland and D. B. Tanner, (American Institute of Physics, New York, 1980) p. 10.Google Scholar
- 11.C. G. Granqvist and O. Hunderi, Phys. Rev. B16 (1977) 1353.Google Scholar
- 12.D. Chakravorty and B. K. D. P. Rao, Trans. Ind. Ceram. Soc. 35 (1976) 31.Google Scholar