Infantile handling and sex as determinants of the negative reinforcing effects of gentling
- 38 Downloads
BD IX rats were trained to avoid a black and white compartment which was associated with gentling. The rats were given 12 acquisition sessions in which they were stroked if they remained in the critical compartment at the end of the fifteen 20-sec intervals during the 5-min test period. The results indicated that the negative reinforcing effects of gentling were a function of the early handling history and sex of the rat.
KeywordsTest Period Acquisition Session White Compartment Early Handling Infantile Handling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berstein, L.: A note on Christie's “Experimental naivete and experiential naivete”. Psychol. Bull. 49, 38–40 (1952).Google Scholar
- Candland, D. K., Faulds, B., Thomas, D. B., Candland, M. H.: The reinforcing value of gentling. J. comp. physiol. Psychol. 53, 55–58 (1960).Google Scholar
- —, Horowitz, S. H., Culbertson, J. L.: Acquisition and retention of acquired avoidance with gentling as reinforcemt. J. comp. physiol. Psychol. 55, 1062–1064 (1962).Google Scholar
- Denenberg, V. H.: The effects of early experience. In: The behaviour of domestic animals. (Hafez, E. S. E., Ed.). London: Bailliere, Tindall and Cox 1969.Google Scholar
- Hughes, R. W.: Behaviour of male and female rats with free choice of two environments. Anim. Behav. 16, 92–96 (1968).Google Scholar
- Meier, G. W., Schutzman, L. H.: Mother-infant interactions and experimental manipulations: Confouding or misidentification ? Develop. Psychobiol. 1, 141 to 145 (1968).Google Scholar
- Meyers, W. J.: Effects of different intensities of postweaning shok and handling on the albino rat. J. genet. Psychol. 106, 51–58 (1965).Google Scholar
- Sperling, S. E., Valle, F. P.: Handling-gentling as a positive secondary reinforcer. J. exp. Psychol. 67, 573–576 (1964).Google Scholar
- Valle, F. P.: Eifects of strain, sex, and illumination on open-field behavior of rats. Amer. J. Psychol. 83, 103–111 (1970).Google Scholar
- Von Druckey, H., Danneberg, P., Dischler, W., Steinhoff, D.: Reinzucht von 10 Rattenstämmen (BD-Stämme) und Analyse des genetischen Pigmentierungs-Systems. Arzneimittel-Forsch. 12, 911 (1962).Google Scholar
- Williams, D. I., Wells, P. A.: Differences in home-cage-emergence in the rat in relation to infantile handling. Psychon. Sci. 18, 168–169 (1970).Google Scholar