Pharmacodynamics and urine pharmacokinetics of three doses of piretanide
- 26 Downloads
Three doses (3 mg, 6 mg and 12 mg) of piretanide, a new high ceiling diuretic, and placebo were given to 8 volunteers to investigate the relationship between the pharmacodynamic parameters, the dose and its urinary excretion. Intake of food and fluid were standardized from 48 h before until 24 h after drug administration. Urinary output, excretion of unchanged drug, and the excretion and clearance of Na+ and K+ were measured hourly for 7 h after treatment. A clear dose-response relationship was found for cumulative urinary output, cumulative excretion of Na+ and K+, clearance of Na+ and K+ and the urinary sodium/potassium ratio. A significant correlation was found between the net urine volume and the excretion of piretanide per time interval. The clearances of Na+ and K+ were significantly correlated with the excretion of piretanide. Clearance values correlated well with corresponding urine volumes.
Key wordspiretanide urine K+ and Na+ clearance pharmacodynamic effects pharmacokinetic effects diuretic effects dose-response relationship trial design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Merkel W, Bornmann D, Mania D, Muschaweck R, Hropot M (1976) Piretanide (HOE 118) a new high ceiling saludiuretic. Eur J Med Chem (Chim Ther) 11: 399–406Google Scholar
- 2.Saruta T, Kato E (1980) The diuretic effect of piretanide in man. Arzneimittelforsch/Drug Research 30 [II] No. 10: 1807–1812Google Scholar
- 3.Beermann B (1982) Kinetics and dynamics of furosemide and slow-acting furosemide. Clin Pharmacol Ther 32: 584–591Google Scholar
- 4.Branch RA, Roberts CJC, Homeida M, Levine D (1977) Determinants of response to furosemide in normal subjects. Br J Clin Pharmacol 4: 121–127Google Scholar
- 5.Chennavasin P, Seiwell R, Brater DC, Liang WMM (1979) Pharmacodynamic analysis of the furosemide probenecid interaction in man. Kidney Int 16: 187–195Google Scholar
- 6.Homeida M, Roberts C, Branch RA (1977) Influence of probenecid and spironolactone on furosemide kinetics and dynamics in man. Clin Pharmacol Ther 22: 402–409Google Scholar
- 7.Heptner W, Baudner S, Dagrosa EE, Hellstern C, Irmisch R, Strecker H, Wissman H (1983) A radioimmunoassay to measure piretanide in human serum and urine. J ImmunoassayGoogle Scholar