In vitro and ex vivo effects of indobufen on red blood cell deformability
- 20 Downloads
We have studied the effect of indobufen, a cyclo-oxygenase blocking agent which has proved useful in patients with obstructive vascular disease, on red blood cell (RBC) filterability in vitro and in a pilot study ex vivo.
The addition of indobufen in vitro to blood samples from 10 healthy volunteers did not significantly modify RBC deformability.
We evaluated the ex vivo effect of indobufen (200 mg bd) in 14 patients with obstructive vascular disease. A significant improvement in RBC deformability was noted on the 5th, 14th, and 28th days of treatment, 2 h after the morning dose. Acetylsalicylic acid given to 6 similar patients had no effect suggesting that the positive haemorheological effect of indobufen is probably not linked to its cyclooxygenase blocking effect.
Key wordsindobufen red blood cells deformability obstructive vascular diseases
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Editorial (1978) Red cell deformability. Lancet 2: 1348–1349Google Scholar
- 2.Muller R (1980) Zum gegenwärtigen Stand der Hämorheologie aus klinisch-pharmakologischer Sicht. Therapiewoche 30: 2440–2451Google Scholar
- 3.Palinski W, Torsellini A, Doni L (1983) Influence of platelet activation on erythrocyte deformability. Thromb Haemostas 49: 84–86Google Scholar
- 4.Reid HL, Dormandy JA, Barnes AJ, Locke PJ, Dormandy TL (1976) Impaired red cell deformability in peripheral vascular disease. Lancet 1: 666–667Google Scholar
- 5.Schmid-Schöbein H, Volger E (1976) Red cell aggregation and red cell deformability in diabetes. Diabetes 25 [Suppl 2]: 897–902Google Scholar
- 6.Dodds AJ, O'Reilly MJG, Yates CJP, Cotton LT, Flute PT, Dormandy JA (1979) Haemorheological response to plasma exchange in Raynaud's syndrome. Br Med J 2: 1186Google Scholar
- 7.Horne McDK (1981) Sickle cell anemia as a rheological disease. Am J Med 70: 288–298Google Scholar
- 8.Saruta S (1981) Blood filterability in cerebrovascular disorders with special reference to erythrocyte deformability. Stroke 126: 824–828Google Scholar
- 9.Gresele P, Guerciolini R, Nenci GG (1982) Erythrocyte deformability changes in normal pregnancy and preeclampsia. Br J Haematol 52: 340–342Google Scholar
- 10.Dodds AJ, Boyd MJ, Allen J, Bennet CD, Flute PT, Dormandy JA (1980) Changes in red cell deformability and other haemorheological variables following myocardial infarction. Br Heart J 44: 508–511Google Scholar
- 11.Ono S, Ashida S, Abiko Y (1981) Haemorheological effect of ticlopidine in rats. Thromb Haemostas 46: 176Google Scholar
- 12.Sowemimo-Coker SO, Kovacs IB, Pickles H, Hedges A, Turner P (1983) Dipyridamole increases red cell deformability. Br J Clin Pharmacol 16: 423–425Google Scholar
- 13.Guerciolini R, Merante F, Gresele P, Grasselli S, Susani L, Nenci GG (1986) Effect of different plasma expanders on erythrocyte filterability. Clin Haemorheol 6: 511–521Google Scholar
- 14.Italian Multicenter Study Group (1985) Long-term antiplatelet activity and safety of indobufen in patients with cardiovascular disease. Intern J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol 8: 439–446Google Scholar
- 15.Reid HL, Barnes AJ, Lock PJ, Dormandy JA, Dormandy TL (1976) A simple method for measuring erythrocyte deformability. J Clin Pathol 29: 855–859Google Scholar
- 16.Schafer AI, Handin RI (1979) The role of platelets in thrombotic and vascular disease. Progr Cardiovasc Dis 22: 31–52Google Scholar
- 17.Ulutin ON, Ozer M, Sari H, Akcam B, Ozdacaci T, Urgancioglu I, Balkuv-Ulutin S (1982) The effect of indobufen on the peripheric obliterative vascular diseases. Haemostasis 12: 181Google Scholar
- 18.Tamassia V, Corvi G, Fuccella LM, Moro E, Tosolini G, Tremoli E (1979) Indobufen (K 3920), a new inhibitor of platelet aggregation: Effect of food on bioavailability, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study during repeated oral administration to man. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 15: 329–333Google Scholar
- 19.Vittoria A, Laghi Pasini E, Messa GL, Di Perri T, Corvi G, Fuccella LM (1981) Inhibition of platelet aggregation in man by indobufen (K 3920). Int Med Res 9: 12Google Scholar
- 20.Pfafferott C, Meiselman HJ, Mochstein P (1982) The effect of malonyldialdehyde on erythrocyte deformability. Blood 59: 12–15Google Scholar
- 21.Dowd PM, Kovacs IB, Bland CJH, Kirby JDT (1981) Effect of prostaglandins I2 and E1 on red cell deformability in patients with Raynaud's phenomenon and systemic sclerosis. Br Med J 283: 350Google Scholar
- 22.Kovack IB, O'Grady J (1984) Prostacyclin increases filterability on normal and rigidified human red blood cells in vitro. Agent Action 14: 306–310Google Scholar
- 23.Slott JH, Hall K, Clark DA, Stuart MJ (1982) Prostaglandin I2 fails to influence red cell deformability. Prostaglandins Leukotrienes Med 8: 21Google Scholar
- 24.Belch JJF, Lowe GDO, Drummond MM, Forbes CD, Prentice CRM (1981) Prostacyclin reduces red cell deformability. Thromb Haemost 45: 189Google Scholar