Beta-blockade antagonism of tyramine-induced rise in blood pressure
- 27 Downloads
The effect β-adrenoceptor blockade on the pressor response to tyramine has been investigated in 6 healthy volunteers, each submitted to an i.v. tyramine pressor test before and after 7 days of propranolol 40 mg b.d. or indenolol 60 mg o.d. Tyramine was given as i.v. boluses of 1–6 mg, alternating with saline, in a randomized, single blind fashion.
Prior to treatment tyramine caused a temporary, dose-dependent increase in systolic and diastolic blood pressure, whilst the heart rate remained unaffected. Both propranolol and indenolol reduced the pressor response to tyramine, as shown by a significant increase in ED15, i.e. the dose of tyramine required to increase systolic blood pressure by 15%.
Key wordstyramine propranolol pressure response blood pressure beta-adrenoceptor blockers healthy volunteers indenolol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Burgen ASV, Iversen LL (1965) Inhibition of noradrenaline uptake by sympathomimetic amines in the rat isolated heart. Br J Pharmacol 25: 34–49Google Scholar
- 2.Trendelenburg U (1979) Release induced by phenylethylamines. In: Paton DM (ed) The release of catecholamines from adrenergic neurones. Pergamon, Oxford, pp 333–354Google Scholar
- 3.Scriven AJI, Dollery CT, Murphy MB, Macquin I, Brown MJ (1982) Blood pressure and plasma norepinephrine concentrations after endogenous norepinephrine release by tyramine. Clin Pharmacol Ther 33: 710–716Google Scholar
- 4.Ariëns EJ, Simonis AM (1983) Physiological and pharmacological aspects of adrenergic receptor classification. Biochem Pharmacol 32: 1539–1545Google Scholar
- 5.Black JW, Jenkinson DH, Kenakin TP (1980) Antagonism of an indirectly acting agonist: Block by propranolol and sotalol of the action of tyramine on rat heart. Eur J Pharmacol 65: 1–10Google Scholar
- 6.Scriven AJI, Brown MJ, Murphy MB, Dollery CT (1984) Changes in blood pressure and plasma catecholamines caused by tyramine and cold exposure. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 6: 954–960Google Scholar
- 7.Zuccari G, Falcone A, Turba C (1986) Acute effect of indenolol on systemic arterial pressure and heart rate in the rat. Pharmacol Res Commun 18: 137–147Google Scholar
- 8.Okupa FE, Daneshmend TK, Shrosbree E, Roberts CJC (1981) Dose-response studies of indenolol, a beta-adrenoceptor blocker. Clin Pharmacol Ther 29: 434–439Google Scholar
- 9.Malacco E, Mailland F, Bevilacqua M, Bosisio E, Meroni R (1985) Long-term hemodynamic effects of indenolol in hypertension at rest and during isometric exercise. Curr Ther Res 37: 537–544Google Scholar
- 10.Zar JH (1984) Biostatistical analysis, 2nd edn, chapter 18. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632Google Scholar