Effect of ivermectin against subperiodic Brugia malayi infection in the leaf monkey, Presbytis cristata
- 29 Downloads
Invermectin at single doses of 0.2–1.0 mg/kg body weight reduced the microfilarial counts of subperiodic Brugia malayi in Presbytis cristata by 59.9%–89.6% of initial counts, 4 weeks after treatment. Adult filaricidal activity was poor, live adult worms being recovered from all animals at autopsy. There was no serious side effect at these doses.
KeywordsBody Weight Single Dose Adult Worm Ivermectin Initial Count
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Awadzi K, Dadzie KY, Shulz-key H, Haddock DRW, Gilles HM, Aziz MA (1985) The chemotherapy of onchocerciasis: X. An assessment of four single dose treatment regimes of MK-933 (ivermectin) in human onchocerciasis. Ann Trop Med Parasitol 79:63–78Google Scholar
- Awadzi K, Dadzie KY, Shulz-key H, Gilles H, Fulford AJ, Aziz MA (1986) The chemotherapy of onchocerciasis: XI. A double-blind comparative study of ivermectin, diethylcarbamazine and placebo in human onchocerciasis in northern Ghana. Ann Trop Med Parasitol 80:433–442Google Scholar
- Aziz MA, Diallo S, Diop IM, Lariviere M, Porta M (1982a) Efficacy and tolerance of ivermectin in human onchocerciasis. Lancet II:171–173Google Scholar
- Aziz MA, Diallo S, Lariviere M, Diop IM, Porta M, Gaxotte P (1982b) Ivermectin in onchocerciasis. Lancet II:1456–1457Google Scholar
- Boreham PFL, Atwell RB (1983) Absence of shock-like reactions to ivermectin in dogs infected with Dirofilaria immitis. J Helminthol 57:279–281Google Scholar
- Buckley JJC, Edeson JFB (1956) On the adult morphology of Wuchereria sp.(malayi?) from a monkey (Macaca irus) and from cats in Malaya, and on Wuchereria pahangi n.sp. from a dog and cat. J Helminthol 30:1–20Google Scholar
- Campbell WC, Blair LS (1978) Efficacy of avermectins against Dirofilaria immitis in dogs. J Helminthol 52:308–310Google Scholar
- Diallo S, Aziz M, Diop-Mar I, N'Dir O, Gaxotte P (1986) A dose ranging study of ivermectin in Bancroftian filariasis. Abstracts, IXth International Congress of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Munich, July 20–26, 1986; Abstract No. 136Google Scholar