Introduction of free radicals into the macrocyclic ring of porphyrins during polymerization of vinylpyrrolidone
- 41 Downloads
It was found that porphyrins add chain propagation radicals of vinylpyrrolidone and of certain other monomers during radical polymerization. Depending on the structure of porphyrin, the addition may proceed either with disruption of the π-conjugation ring system, or with its retention. The latter is realized when meso-tetraaryl-derivatives of porphyrin are used and can have practical application as a method for grafting porphyrins onto a polymeric carrier. If the polymerization is carried out under long polymeric chain conditions, the porphyrins play the role of a crosslinking agent.
KeywordsPolymerization Free Radical Porphyrin Polymeric Chain Propagation Radical
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. R. Smirnova, I. M. Bel'govskii, G. V. Ponomarev, et al., “Catalysis of a chain transfer to a monomer in a radical polymerization,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 254, No. 1 (1980).Google Scholar
- 2.A. G. Oganova, B. R. Smirnov, M. T. Ioffe, and N. S. Enikolopyan, “Catalytic regularities of polymerization of butyl acrylate in the presence of cobalt-porphyrin during the induction period,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., No. 9, 2036–2042 (1983).Google Scholar
- 3.A. P. Marchenko, “Catalysis of a chain transfer reaction to a monomer in radical polymerization,” Candidate of Chemical Sciences dissertation, Moscow (1978).Google Scholar
- 4.A. A. Gridnev, I. M. Bel'govskii and N. S. Enikolopyan, “Formation of inner complexes of Co(I) by the action of free radicals,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 289, No. 3, 616–620 (1986).Google Scholar
- 5.A. A. Gridnev, I. M. Bel'govskii, and N. S. Enikolopyan, “Reduction of Co(III) porphyrinates and glyoximates by free radicals during polymerization of methyl methacrylate,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 289, No. 6, 1408–1412 (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.C. H. Bamford and P. R. Morris, “The oxidative polymerization of methyl methacrylate,” Macromol. Chem., 87, No. 1, 73–89 (1965).Google Scholar
- 7.H. W. Whitlock, J. R. Hanauer, M. Y. Oester, and B. K. Bower, “Diimide reaction of porphyrins,” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 91, No. 26, 7485–7489 (1969).Google Scholar
- 8.S. S. Ivanchev, Radical Polymerization [in Russian], Khimiya, Leningrad (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.Kh. S. Bagdasaryan, Theory of Radical Polymerization [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1966).Google Scholar
- 10.V. D. Berezin, Coordination Compounds of Porphyrins and Phthalocyanins [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1978).Google Scholar
- 11.C. E. Castro, “Routes of electron transfer,” in: The Porphyrins, Vol. 5, Acad. Press, London (1978), pp. 1–27.Google Scholar