Inheritance of Ag-stainability of nucleolus organizer regions
- 27 Downloads
The Ag-stainability of the nucleolus organizer region (NOR) was studied in the acrocentric chromosomes identified by Q-banding in cultured lymphocytes from seven children with trisomy 21 and their parents. The observed Ag-NOR patterns were in accordance with chromosomal inheritance except for a slight intraindividual variation which might be explained mainly by technical causes. In two cases the meiotic nondisjunction could be attributed to one of the parents, once to the father, and once to the mother. It is concluded that the Ag-stainability of the NORs is in general a heritable characteristic of the acrocentric chromosomes in maximally activated cells as, e.g., cultured lymphocytes. It may reflect individual differences in the amount of rDNA as well as differences in the capacity for NOR activation.
KeywordsInternal Medicine Individual Difference Metabolic Disease Organizer Region Nucleolus Organizer Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bloom, S. E., Goodpasture, C.: An improved technique for selective silver staining of nucleolar regions in human chromosomes. Hum. Genet. 34, 199–206 (1976)Google Scholar
- Denton, T. E., Howell, W. M., Barret, J. K.: Human nucleolar organizer chromosomes: satellite associations. Chromosoma (Berl.) 55, 81–84 (1976)Google Scholar
- Evans, H. J., Buckland, R. A., Pardue, M. L.: Location of the genes coding for 18S and 28S ribosomal RNA in the human genome. Chromosoma (Berl.) 48, 405–426 (1974)Google Scholar
- Goodpasture, C., Bloom, S. E.: Visualization of nucleolar organizer regions in mammalian chromosomes using silver staining. Chromosoma (Berl.) 53, 37–50 (1975)Google Scholar
- Goodpasture, C., Bloom, S. E., Hsu, T. C., Arrighi, F. E.: Human nucleolus organizers: The satellites or the stalks? Amer. hum. Genet. 28, 559–566 (1976)Google Scholar
- Howell, W. M., Denton, T. E., Diamond, J. R.: Differential staining of the satellite regions of human acrocentric chromosomes. Experientia (Basel) 31, 260–262 (1975)Google Scholar
- Mikelsaar, A.-V., Schmid, M., Krone, W., Schwarzacher, H. G., Schnedl, W.: Frequency of Ag-stained nucleolus organizer regions in the acrocentric chromosomes of man. Hum. Genet. (in press, 1977)Google Scholar
- Miller, D. A., Dev, V. G., Tantravahi, R., Miller, O. J.: Suppression of human nucleolus organizer activity in mouse-human somatic hybrid cells. Exp. Cell Res. 101, 235–243 (1076a)Google Scholar
- Miller, O. J., Miller, A. D., Dev, V. G., Tantravahi, R., Croce, C. M.: Expression of human and suppression of mouse nucleolus organizer activity in mouse-human somatic cell hybrids. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 73, 4531–4535 (1976b)Google Scholar