Some characteristics of chick embryo sympathetic ganglion fragments in a simple culture system with and without nerve growth factor
- 18 Downloads
A method is described for the culture of numbers of fragments of chick embryo sympathetic ganglia in similar conditions.
A comparison is made on a morphological basis, between growth of ganglion fragments with and without added NGF.
It is concluded that in this system, 4U NGF/ml NGM has a favourable influence on the maintenance, though not on the initial development, of such cultures, and is optimal for the production by simple techniques of a high yield of comparable cultures containing adrenergic nerve.
Key wordsTissue culture Chick embryo Sympathetic ganglia Nerve growth factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown, W. T., Larrabee, M. G., Parlow, L. M.: Unpublished, cited in Jacobson, M.: Developmental neurobiology, p. 217. New York: Holt, Rinehart, Winstone 1970.Google Scholar
- Cohen, S.: Purification and metabolic effects of a nerve growth-promoting protein from snake venom. J. biol. Chem. 234, 1129–1137 (1959).Google Scholar
- England, J. M., Goldstein, M. N.: The uptake and localization of catecholamines in chick embryo sympathetic neurons in tissue culture. J. Cell Sci. 4, 677–691 (1969).Google Scholar
- Lever, J. D., Presley, R.: Studies on the sympathetic neurone in vitro. Prog. in Brain Res. 34, 499–512 (1971).Google Scholar
- Levi-Montalcini, R., Angeletti, P.U.: Essential role of the nerve growth factor in the survival and maintenance of dissociated sensory and sympathetic embryonic nerve cells in vitro. Develop. Biol. 7, 653–659 (1963).Google Scholar
- Levi-Montalcini, R., Mayer, H., Hamburger, V.: In vitro experiments on the effects of mouse sarcomas 180 and 37 on spinal and sympathetic ganglia of the chick embryo. Cancer Res. 14, 49–57 (1954).Google Scholar
- Murray, M. R., Stout, A. P.: Adult human sympathetic ganglion cells cultivated in vitro. Amer. J. Anat. 80, 225–273 (1947).Google Scholar
- Presley, R., Lever, J. D., Ivens, C., Joo, F., Spriggs, T. L. B.: Observations on the sympathetic neurone in vitro. J. Anat. (Lond.) 108, 611–612 (1971).Google Scholar