A peculiar phenomenon: increased polypeptide hormone binding (receptor accumulation) in the midbody region
Fluorescein-labeled polypeptide hormones, hormone analogons and fragments were selectively bound by the midbody, which bound neither con-A, nor the fluorescent stain in itself. This experimental observation suggests an accumulation in the midbody region of non-glycosilated hormone receptors, apparently to present a receptor pool for the separating daughter cells.
KeywordsPublic Health Polypeptide Experimental Observation Hormone Receptor Daughter Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bergeron JJM, Rachubinsky R, Searle M, Borts D, Sikstrom R, Posner BI (1980) Polypeptide hormone receptors in vivo: demonstration of insulin binding to adrenal gland and gastrointestinal epithelium by quantitative radioautography. J Histochem Cytochem 28:821–835Google Scholar
- Costlow ME, Gallagher PE (1979) Relationship of protein receptor to Concanavalin-A binding. Biochim Biophys Acta 587:192–201Google Scholar
- Csaba G, Kovács P (1982) Histamine-lectin and insulin-lectin binding site overlaps in Tetrahymena. Cell Mol Biol 28:153–158Google Scholar
- Csaba G, Török O, Kovács P (1984) Hormonal imprinting in cell culture I. Impact of a single exposure to insulin on cellular insulin binding capacity in permanent cell lines. Acta Physiol Hung 64:57–63Google Scholar
- Gorden P, Carpentier JL, Obberghen E van, Barazzone P, Roth J, Orci L (1979) Insulin-induced receptor loss in the cultured human lymphocyte: quantitative morphological perturbations in the cell and plasma membrane. J Cell Sci 39:77–88Google Scholar
- Horvat A (1978) Insulin binding sites on rat liver nuclear membranes: biochemical and immunofluorescent studies. J Cell Physiol 97:37–40Google Scholar
- Horvat A, Katsoyannis PG (1975) Cellular binding sites for insulin in rat liver. Biochim Biophys Acta 382:609–620Google Scholar
- Köhidai L, Kovács P, Csaba G (1985) Cyclic changes of Con-A binding sites in the plasma membrane of Tetrahymena. Acta Morphol Hung 33:117–121Google Scholar
- Mauersberger B (1971) Aktuelle Probleme der Zellzüchtung. Gustav Fischer, Jena, p 264Google Scholar
- Pastan I, Willingham MC (1983) Receptor mediated endocytosis: coated pits, receptosomes and the Golgi. TIBS 8:250–254Google Scholar
- Sandra A, Leon MA, Prziblisky RJ (1979) Reversal by insulin of Concanavalin-A inhibition of myotube formation and evidence for common binding sites. Endocrinology 105:391–401Google Scholar
- Steinman RM, Melmann WA, Cohn ZA (1983) Endocytosis and the recycling of plasma membrane. J Cell Biol 96:1–27Google Scholar