Immobilization of microbial cells and enzymes with hydrophobic photo-crosslinkable resin prepolymers
- 74 Downloads
Attempts were made to entrap enzymes or microbial cells with water-insoluble photo-crosslinkable resin prepolymers of different types in organic solvent systems in the presence or absence of water. Acetone-dried cells of Artbrobacter simplex immobilized in a maleic polybutadiene gel (PBM-2000) converted hydrocortisone to prednisolone in a phosphate buffer. 4-Androstene-3,17-dione was converted to androst-1,4-diene-3,17-dione in benzene-n-heptane solution by Nocardia rhodocrous which was immobilized by a hydrophobic prepolymer, ENTP-2000. The ENTP-2000 had been synthesized from poly(propylene glycol)-2000, hydroxyethylacrylate and isophorone diisocyanate. Even enzymes catalyzing aqueous phase reactions, such as catalase and invertase, were immobilized in a polybutadiene resin (PB-200k) to give active gel-entrapped preparations. The cells and enzymes immobilized in these hydrophobic resins exhibited moderate activities compared with those of the free cells and enzymes.
KeywordsEnzyme Hydrocortisone Immobilization Catalase Prednisolone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chang, T.M.S. (1964). Science 146, 524–525Google Scholar
- Fukui, S., Tanaka, A., Iida, T., Hasegawa, E. (1976). FEBS Letters 66, 179–182Google Scholar
- Fukushima, S., Nagai, T., Fujita, K., Tanaka, A., Fukui, S. (1978). Biotechnol. Bioeng. 20, 1465–1469Google Scholar
- Kumura, A., Tatsutomi, Y., Mizushima, N., Tanaka, A., Matsuno, R., Fukuda, H. (1978). European J. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 5, 13–16Google Scholar
- Kitajima, M., Kondo, A. (1971). Bull. Chem. Soc. Japan. 44, 3201–3202Google Scholar
- Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N.J., Farr, A.L., Randall, R.J. (1951). J. Biol. Chem. 193, 265–275Google Scholar
- Tanaka, A., Yasuhara, S., Fukui, S., Iida, T., Hasegawa, E. (1977a). J. Ferment. Technol. 55, 71–75Google Scholar
- Tanaka, A., Yasuhara, S., Osumi, M., Fukui, S. (1977b). Eur. J. Biochem. 80, 193–197Google Scholar
- Tanaka, A., Hagi, N., Yasuhara, S., Fukui, S. (1978a). J. Ferment. Technol. 56, 511–515Google Scholar
- Tanaka, A., Yasuhara, S., Gellf, G., Osumi, M., Fukui, S. (1978b). European J. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 5, 17–27Google Scholar