Mutational study of the alcohol dehydrogenase-1 FC m duplication in maize
- 17 Downloads
The alcohol dehydrogenase-1 FC m (Adh-FC m ) duplication in maize was subjected to ethyl methanesulfonate (EMS) mutagenesis. Of the mutants recovered, eight produced ADH polypeptides with altered electrophoretic mobility. Four produced new mobilities of the progenitor F with no change of the Cm molecule; the remainder altered only the Cm enzyme. No cases were found in which the electrophoretic mobilities of the two types of subunits were simultaneously altered, and no complete nulls lacking both F and Cm were recovered. These observations confirm the duplicate nature of the FCm complex.
Key wordsgene duplication alcohol dehydrogenase electrophoretic mobility mutants maize
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Briggs, R. W., Amano, E., and Smith, H. H. (1965). Genetic recombination with ethyl methanesulfonate-induced waxy mutants in maize. Nature 207890.Google Scholar
- Fischer, M., and Schwartz, D. (1973). Dissociation and reassociation of maize alcohol dehydrogenase: Allelic differences in requirement of zinc. Mol. Gen. Genet. 12733.Google Scholar
- Freeling, M. (1976). Intragenic recombination in maize: Pollen analysis methods and the effect of parental Adh1 isoalleles. Genetics 83701.Google Scholar
- Johnson, G. B. (1977). Evaluation of the stepwise mutation model of electrophoretic mobility: Comparison of the gel sieving behavior of alleles at the esterase-5 locus of Drosophila pseudoobscura. Genetics 87139.Google Scholar
- Laughner, W. J. (1970). Biochemical studies on the alcohol dehydrogenase isozymes of Zea mays L. Ph.D. dissertation, Indiana University.Google Scholar
- Ohno, S. (1970). Evolution by Gene Duplication, Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- Schwartz, D. (1969). Alcohol dehydrogenase in maize: Genetic basis for multiple isozymes. Science 164585.Google Scholar
- Schwartz, D. (1973). Single gene heterosis for alcohol dehydrogenase in maize: The nature of the subunit interaction. Theor. Appl. Genet. 43117.Google Scholar
- Schwartz, D., and Endo, T. (1966). Alcohol dehydrogenase polymorphism in maize-simple and compound loci. Genetics 53709.Google Scholar
- Schwartz, D., and Laughner, W. J. (1969). A molecular basis of heterosis. Science 166626.Google Scholar