Thermal expansion properties of 6061 Al alloy reinforced with SiC particles or short fibers
- 65 Downloads
Thermal expansion measurements are reported for 6061 Al alloy and drawn composite materials reinforced with SiC particles or aligned short fibers. Samples with volume fractions of 5 and 20% SiC were measured in the drawing direction. The measurements were obtained from repeated heating and cooling cycles between room temperature and 500°C. Cumulative plastic strains were measured for the repeated thermal cycles, in association with the observation that lower expansivities generally occurred on cooling as compared with heating. Model calculations for particulate and an aligned fiber are presented for the combined elastic-plastic deformation properties of the Al/SiC composite systems. Lower expansivities and greater plastic strains are accounted for in the fiber-reinforced material.
Key words6061 Al-SiC composites coaxial cylinder model elastic-plastic concentric-spheres model expansivities thermal cycling thermal expansion thermal stresses thermally induced plasticity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. A. Hahn and R. W. Armstrong, Int. J. Thermophys. 9:179 (1988).Google Scholar
- 2.C. T. Liu and J. Gurland, Trans. ASM 58:66 (1965).Google Scholar
- 3.T. A. Hahn and R. W. Armstrong, in Thermal Expansion 7 (Seventh Symposium), D. C. Larsen, ed. (Plenum Press, New York, 1982), p. 195.Google Scholar
- 4.R. O. Simmons and R. W. Balluffi, Phys. Rev. 34:52 (1960).Google Scholar
- 5.R. J. Arsenault, Mater. Sci. Eng. 64:171 (1984).Google Scholar
- 6.ASTM, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, E 228 (71), Standard Test Method (ASTM, Philadelphia, 1980), p. 1041.Google Scholar
- 7.T. A. Hahn and R. K. Kirby, in Thermal Expansion 1971 (Third Symposium), M. G. Graham and H. E. Hagy, eds. (Am. Inst. Phys. Conf. Proc., 1972), p. 87.Google Scholar
- 8.R. A. Schapery, J. Comp. Mater. 2:280 (1968).Google Scholar
- 9.K. Wakasshima, M. Otsuka, and S. Umekawa, J. Comp. Mater. 8:391 (1974).Google Scholar
- 10.T. A. Hahn, Thermal Expansion Behavior and Analysis for Al-Si Eutectic Alloys and the Composite Material Systems: Al-SiC and Al-W. Ph.D. dissertation (University of Maryland, College Park, 1986).Google Scholar
- 11.Y. Y. Earmme, W. C. Johnson, and J. K. Lee, Met. Trans. ASM 12A:1521 (1981).Google Scholar