Stimulation of calcium uptake into aortic microsomes by cyclic AMP and cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase
- 9 Downloads
Enhancement of calcium uptake into rabbit aortic microsomes was seen at a cyclic AMP concentration of 10−6M in the presence of cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase (ATP: protein phosphotransferase, EC 184.108.40.206). Protein kinase alone also increased calcium uptake, but cyclic AMP alone was without effect. The results suggest that stimulation of calcium sequestration may be the mechanism of cyclic AMP involvement in vascular smooth muscle relaxation.
Key wordsCalcium Cyclic AMP Vascular smooth muscle Microsomal vesicles
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andersson, R., Lundholm, L., Mohme-Lundholm, E., Nilsson, K.: Role of cyclic AMP and calcium in metabolic and mechanical events in smooth muscle. Advanc. Cyclic Nucleotide Res. 1, 213–229 (1972)Google Scholar
- Batra, S. C., Daniel, E. E.: ATP-dependent Ca uptake by subcellular fractions of uterine smooth muscle. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 38A, 369–385 (1971)Google Scholar
- Baudouin-Legros, M., Meyer, P.: Effects of angiotensin, catecholamines and cyclic AMP on calcium storage in aortic microsomes. Brit. J. Pharmacol. 47, 377–385 (1973)Google Scholar
- Fitzpatrick, D. F., Landon, E. J., Debbas, G., Hurwitz, L.: A calcium pump in vascular smooth muscle. Science 176, 305–306 (1972)Google Scholar
- Harigaya, S., Schwartz, A.: Rate of calcium binding and uptake in normal animal and failing human cardiac muscle. Circulat. Res. 25, 781–794 (1969)Google Scholar
- Hurwitz, L., Fitzpatrick, D. F., Debbas, G., Landon, E. J.: Localization of calcium pump activity in smooth muscle. Science 179, 384–386 (1973)Google Scholar
- Katz, A. M., Repke, D. I., Upshaw, J. E., Polascik, M. A.: Characterization of dog cardiac microsomes. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 205, 473–490 (1970)Google Scholar
- Kirchberger, M. A., Tada, M., Katz, A. M.: Adenosine 3′:5′-monophosphate-dependent protein kinase-catalyzed phosphorylation reaction and its relationship to calcium transport in cardiac sarcoplasmic reticulum. J. biol. Chem. 249, 6166–6173 (1974)Google Scholar
- Nelson, F. A., Birch, B. M.: Cyclic Adenosine 3′:5′-monophosphate-dependent protein kinase. J. biol. Chem. 248, 8361–8365 (1973)Google Scholar
- Tada, M., Kirchberger, M. A., Repke, D. I., Katz, A. M.: The stimulation of calcium transport in cardiac sarcoplasmic reticulum by adenosine 3′:5′-monophosphate-dependent protein kinase. J. biol. Chem. 249, 6174–6180 (1974)Google Scholar