IR spectra and structure of 2- imino-1,3-dimethylbenzimidazolines
The fine structure of some N-substituted 2-imino-1,3-dimethyl-benzimidazolines is examined with the aid of IR spectroscopy. It is shown that the introduction of an alkyl or phenyl group into the imino group does not affect the C=N group or the imidazoline ring structure. In salts of 2-imino-1,3-dimethylbenzimidazoline and its N-substituted derivatives, the heterocyclic system has the benzimidazolium structure. The structure of 2-imino-1,3-dimethylbenzimidazolines in which the exocyclic nitrogen atom has electrophilic substituents which are conjugated with the heterocycle is characterized by a considerable contribution from dipolar forms, with the imidazole ring bearing a positive charge.
KeywordsPhenyl Imidazole Nitrogen Atom Fine Structure Positive Charge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Wilson, G. Decius, and P. Cross, Molecular Vibrations: Theory of Infrared and Raman Vibrational Spectra [Russian translation], IL, 1960.Google Scholar
- 2.N. D. Vitkevich and A. M. Simonov, ZhOKh, 30, 2868, 1960.Google Scholar
- 3.N. A. Zakharova, B. A. Porai-Koshits, and L. S. Efros, ZhOKh, 23, 1225, 1953.Google Scholar
- 4.V. G. Sayapin and A. M. Simonov, KhGS [Chemistry of Heterocyclic Compounds], 1120, 1967.Google Scholar
- 5.Yu. N. Sheinker, A. M. Simonov, Yu. M. Yutilov, V. N. Sheinker, and E. I. Perel'shtein, ZhOrKh, 2, 917, 1966.Google Scholar
- 6.K. Nakanishi, Infrared Absorption Spectroscopy, Practical Holden-Day, San Francisco, 1957, p. 45.Google Scholar
- 7.K. Nakanishi, Infrared Absorption Spectroscopy, Practical Holden-Day, San Francisco, 1957, p. 61.Google Scholar
- 8.J. E. Brown, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 77, 6341, 1955; N. Jonatan, J. Mol. Spectr., 7, 105, 1961.Google Scholar
- 9.E. E. Milliaresi and V. A. Izmail'skii, DAN, 146, 1094, 1962; ZhOKh, 35, 776, 1965.Google Scholar
- 10.E. E. Milliaresi, ZhOKh, 36, 1034, 1966.Google Scholar
- 11.E. Grison, Acta Cryst., 2, 410, 1949 [cited in 10].Google Scholar
- 12.A. Kucsman, F. Ruff, J. Kapovits, and J. G. Fischer, Tetrah., 22, 1843, 1966.Google Scholar