A method for measuring the potential activity of methanogenic bacteria in waste disposals
- 19 Downloads
A new method is described measuring the methane-forming potentials of model disposals. The methane production of samples which were taken from lysimeters containing about 100 cbm of municipal waste material, was measured in laboratory experiments. The samples were filled in flasks and gassed with a mixture of H2/CO2 as a substrate for methane formation. A gaschromatograph with only a one-feet-column is used determining the quantity of the methane formed.
Preliminary measurements show different methanogenic activities between “aerobic lysimeters” well supplied with oxygen and those under mainly anaerobic conditions.
KeywordsOxygen Methane Laboratory Experiment Anaerobic Condition Waste Disposal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anonymous (1957) Proposed Standard Methods for Methane Determination. J Am Water Works Assoc 49:1077–1084Google Scholar
- Collins HJ et al. (1979) Wasser-und Stoffhaushalt in Abfall-deponien und deren Wirkung auf Gewässer. Müll und Abfall 11:53–60Google Scholar
- Mangel G, Villermaux J, Prost C (1980) Methane Production under Pressure by Fermentation of Waste Materials. Eur J Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 9:79–81Google Scholar
- Sahm H (1979) Pflanzliche Rückstände als Substrate in der Biotechnologie. Forum Mikrobiologie 2(4):177–182Google Scholar
- Tabasaran O (1976) Überlegungen zum Problem Deponiegas. Müll und Abfall 8:204–210Google Scholar