The positive inotropic effect of phenylephrine in the presence of propranolol. Increase in time to peak force and in relaxation time without increase in c-AMP
- 173 Downloads
The effects of phenylephrine on the shape of the contraction curve and on the cyclic adenosine 3′,5′-monophosphate (c-AMP) content were studied in electrically driven (frequency 0.2 Hz) cat papillary muscles. All experiments were done in the presence of 1 μM propranolol in order to minimize interference from β-adrenoceptors.
Phenylephrine increased the force of contraction in a concentration-dependent manner. Maximal effects (about 200% of control) occurred at 30 μM phenylephrine.
The positive inotropic effect (PIE) of phenylephrine was antagonized by phentolamine. Phentolamine, 5μM, produced a parallel shift of the concentration-response curve for the PIE of phenylephrine by about two log units to the right.
The PIE of 30 μM phenylephrine occurred without any detectable increase in the c-AMP levels of the preparations.
The PIE of 30μM phenylephrine developed about three times more slowly than the PIE of an equieffective concentration of isoprenaline.
The PIE of phenylephrine was accompanied by significant, concentration-dependent increases in both time to peak force and relaxation time.
It is concluded that the PIE of phenylephrine in the presence of propranolol is mediated mainly by a stimulation of α-adrenoceptors. It is unlikely to be related to an increase in c-AMP. With respect to time course and influence on the shape of the contraction curve it is qualitatively different from the effects of β-adrenoceptor stimulation. These data are taken to support the hypothesis that the mechanical effects of α-and β-adrenoceptor stimulating agents on the heart are produced by different mechanisms.
Key wordsPhenylephrine in the presence of propranolol Positive inotropic effect c-AMP Time to peak force Relaxation time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benfey, B. G.: Characterization of α-adrenoceptors in the myocardium. Br. J. Pharmacol. 48, 132–138 (1973)Google Scholar
- Benfey, B. G.: Theophylline and phenylephrine effects on cardiac relaxation. Br. J. Pharmacol. 59, 75–81 (1977)Google Scholar
- Benfey, B. G., Varma, D. R.: Interactions of sympathomimetic drugs, propranolol and phentolamine, on atrial refractory period and contractility. Br. J. Pharmacol. 30, 603–611 (1967)Google Scholar
- Dönges, C., Heitmann, M., Jungbluth, H., Meinertz, T., Schmelzle, B., Scholz, H.: Effectiveness of theophylline to increase cyclic AMP levels and force of contraction in electrically paced guineapig auricles. Comparison with isoprenaline, calcium and ouabain. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch. Pharmacol. 301, 87–97 (1977)Google Scholar
- Drummond, G. I., Hemmings, S. J.: Role of adenylate cyclase-cyclic AMP in cardiac actions of adrenergic amines. In: Myocardial Metabolism, Vol. 3, pp. 213–222, (N. S. Dhalla, ed.). Baltimore: University Park Press 1973Google Scholar
- Endoh, M., Brodde, O.-E., Schümann, H. J.: Relationship between the level of cAMP and the contractile force under stimulation of α-and β-adrenoceptors by phenylephrine in the isolated rabbit papillary muscle. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch. Pharmacol. 295, 109–115 (1976)Google Scholar
- Gilman, A. G.: A protein binding assay for adenosine 3′,5′-cyclic monophosphate. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 67, 305–312 (1970)Google Scholar
- Govier, W. C.: A positive inotropic effect of phenylephrine mediated through alpha adrenergic receptors. Life Sci. 6, 1361–1365 (1967)Google Scholar
- Govier, W. C.: Myocardial alpha adrenergic receptors and their role in the production of a positive inotropic effect by sympathomimetic agents. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 159, 82–90 (1968)Google Scholar
- Kabela, E., Jalife, J., Peon, C., Cros, L., Mendez, R.: The adrenergic receptors of the coronary circulation in the isolated dog heart. Arch. Int. Pharmacodyn. 181, 328–342 (1969)Google Scholar
- Katz, A. M., Tada, M., Kirchberger, M. A.: Control of calcium transport in the myocardium by the cyclic AMP-protein kinase system. Adv. Cycl. Nucleot. Res. 5, 453–472 (1975)Google Scholar
- Ledda, F., Marchetti, P., Mugelli, A.: Studies on the positive inotropic effect of phenylephrine: A comparison with isoprenaline. Br. J. Pharmacol. 54, 83–90 (1975)Google Scholar
- Lee, W. C., Yoo, C. S.: Mechanism of cardiac activities of sympathomimetic amines on isolated auricles of rabbits. Arch. Int. Pharmacodyn. 151, 93–110 (1964)Google Scholar
- Martinez, T. T., McNeill, J. H.: Cyclic AMP and the positive inotropic effect of norepinephrine and phenylephrine. Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 55, 279–287 (1977)Google Scholar
- McNeill, J. H., Verma, S. C.: Phenylephrine-induced increases in cardiac contractility, cyclic adenosine monophosphate and phosphorylase a. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 187, 296–299 (1973)Google Scholar
- Meinertz, T., Nawrath, H., Scholz, H.: Possible role of cyclic AMP in the relaxation process of mammalian heart: Effects of dibytyryl cyclic AMP and theophylline on potassium contractures in cat papillary muscles. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch. Pharmacol. 293, 129–137 (1976)Google Scholar
- Morad, M., Rolett, E. L.: Relaxing effect of catecholamines on mammalian heart. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 224, 537–558 (1972)Google Scholar
- Osnes, J.-B.: Positive inotropic effect without cyclic AMP elevation after α-adrenergic stimulation of perfused hearts from hypothyroid rats. Acta Pharmacol. Toxicol. (Kbh.) 39, 232–240 (1976)Google Scholar
- Osnes, J.-B., Øye, I.: Relationship between cyclic AMP metabolism and inotropic response of perfused rat hearts to phenylephrine and other adrenergic amines. Adv. Cycl. Nucleot. Res. 5, 415–433 (1975)Google Scholar
- Osnes, J.-B., Christoffersen, T., Øye, I.: Mechanism of the inotropic effect of catecholamines as revealed from experiments of the perfused rat heart. Acta Physiol. Scand., Suppl. 396, 6 (1973)Google Scholar
- Osnes, J.-B., Refsum, H., Skomedal, T., Øye, I.: Qualitative differences between β-adrenergic and α-adrenergic inotropic effects in rat heart muscle. Acta Pharmacol. Toxicol. (Kbh.) 42, 235–247 (1978)Google Scholar
- Parr, J. J., Urquilla, P. R.: Analysis of the adrenergic receptors of pacemaker and myocardial cells. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 17, 1–7 (1972)Google Scholar
- Reiter, M.: Drugs and heart muscle. Ann. Rev. Pharmacol. 12, 111–124 (1972)Google Scholar
- Rolett, E. L.: Adrenergic mechanisms in mammalian myocardium. In: The Mammalian Myocardium, pp. 219–250 (G. A. Langer, A. J. Brady, eds.). New York: Wiley 1974Google Scholar
- Schümann, H. J., Endoh, M., Wagner, J.: Positive inotropic effects of phenylephrine in the isolated rabbit papillary muscle mediated both by α-and β-adrenoceptors. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch. Pharmacol. 284, 133–148 (1974)Google Scholar
- Schümann, H. J., Endoh, M., Brodde, O. E.: The time course of the effects of β-and α-adrenoceptor stimulation by isoprenaline and methoxamine on the contractile force and cAMP level of the isolated rabbit papillary muscle. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch. Pharmacol. 289, 291–302 (1975)Google Scholar
- Starke, K.: Alpha sympathomimetic inhibition of adrenergic and cholinergic transmission in the rabbit heart. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch. Pharmacol. 274, 18–45 (1972)Google Scholar
- Tsien, R. W.: Cyclic AMP and contractile activity in heart. Adv. Cycl. Nucleot. Res. 8, 363–420 (1977)Google Scholar
- Verma, S. C., McNeill, J. H.: Biochemical and mechanical effects of phenylephrine on the heart. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 36, 447–450 (1976)Google Scholar
- Wagner, J., Reinhardt, D.: Characterization of the adrenoceptors mediating the positive ino-and chronotropic effect of phenylephrine on isolated atria from guinea pigs and rabbits by means of adrenolytic drugs. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch. Pharmacol. 282, 295–306 (1974)Google Scholar
- Watanabe, A. M., Hathaway, D. R., Besch, H. R., Farmer, B. B., Harris, R. A.: α-adrenergic reduction of cyclic adenosine monophosphate concentrations in rat myocardium. Circ. Res. 40, 596–602 (1977)Google Scholar
- Wenzel, D. G., Su, J. L.: Interactions between sympathomimetic amines and blocking agents on the rat ventricle strip. Arch. Int. Pharmacodyn. 160, 379–389 (1966)Google Scholar
- Weston, A. H.: Effects of isoprenaline and phenylephrine on energyrich phosphate compounds and glucose-6-phosphate in smooth and cardiac muscle. Br. J. Pharmacol. 43, 593–603 (1971)Google Scholar
- Yoo, C. S., Lee, W. C.: Blockade of the cardiac action of phenylephrine by bretylium or cocaine. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 172, 274–281 (1970)Google Scholar